How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 AM

Default BUG?: Duplicate clip leaves small space before next clip

Hi,

thought I'd report this, perhaps you can see if you're able to replicate it on your systems!

https://vid.me/bNYE

System specs:
Pro Tools 12.4.0

OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 (15B42)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

br
Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Re: BUG?: Duplicate clip leaves small space before next clip

tried several times but i cannot recreate here .. something seems to be shifting but i cannot figure out whether it is the program or something the operator is doing by accident ..

sorry man !!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks, I'm not able to replicate it in a new session, but in the same session it's replicable every time, although, upon re-opening the project it now adds 1 sample instead of falling 1 sample short.

Tried removing all the plugins in the session group-wise, in order to try to find the culprit to no avail, and the bug persists.

br
Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 AM

Does the behavior exist when the track is set to samples instead of ticks? What is the tempo of the session?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 PM

This has been a PITA for me since updating to 11 several years back, each time I use the "Duplicate" - command + D - to duplicate a section of clips to change or lengthen an arrangement, PTR adds an ever increasing "gap" between the duplicated sections - particularly evident when working in grid mode!

For example, I create a simple percussion loop then consolidate to fit a precise tempo grid of 2 bars, I check the loops efficacy by looping playback (Number pad 4) it loops perfectly! Great. Now I use the duplicate function - still in grid mode - to add duplicates of the loop I've just made and lo & behold... PT starts to introduce gaps between the loops, admittedly tiny gaps that at first don't seem to be a problem but become larger and more evident the more times I duplicate. I generally like to use "shuffle" when duplicating sections of an arrangement as it pushes the following portion of the song while maintaining proper timing, sadly, this is where the trouble starts, the work around I use is to manually shift the portion of the arrangement that follows where I need to make a change out of the way in "slip" mode, select the clips I want to copy and then option+click & drag & drop them roughly into position then go back to "shuffle" mode and snap them onto the back of the previous section, then grab the rest of the arrangement and repeat.

I'd be interested to see how many others have encountered this error - all was good in 10 - and samples or ticks make no difference and... the problem exists in both the studios I work work in on completely different machines using different versions of the MacOS and completely different builds (both seperate from-the-ground-up builds).
Old 02-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Please check out the Sample Rounding and Edit Operations section of the User Guide - that sounds like what you are reporting.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM

I haven't noticed any thing new here. It's just the way PT works. Drove me crazy when I first switched from Logic years ago. What Jeffro posted is the answer.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 PM

Same here.
I'll made a demonstration video too.
I'm using Windows 8.1.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Please check out the Sample Rounding and Edit Operations section of the User Guide - that sounds like what you are reporting.
OK thanks for that - is that a category heading? I followed the link and it took me to the reference guide is there a page number or??? Sorry, I'm at work and busy
Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Sorry if the link didn't take you to the right place... it's on pg 724.