Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Need help regarding my client's licenses

Hello all,
Tried to help my client this morning with installing Pro Tools on his new Mac laptop (Catalina OS). He had previously purchased the perpetual license for Pro Tools HD 10/11/12 (now Ultimate) for use on his original desktop Mac computer. He has used it for years, but had not upgraded his Yearly Software Updates subscription since 2015 (from what I saw this morning). This got him up to Pro Tools 12.5 HD within his expired subscription. As I was trying to get his laptop up to speed with Pro Tools, I knew that Pro Tools 2020.5 was needed for operation on the Catalina OS. My reasoning was that since he purchased the Pro Tools HD perpetual license up through Pro Tools 12.5, all we needed to do was purchase the current Yearly Software Subscription in order to have access to the current version of Pro Tools and any other recent software updates. He went to the Sweetwater website and purchased the Yearly Pro Tools Software Subscription ($399 MSRP). We tried to install it with the serial number but it was not being recognized by AVID. We had to leave our upgrade session until he received a reply call back from Sweetwater. Later in the day, he let me know they had contacted him back to tell him that this was the "wrong product" for what he wanted to achieve. He would have to purchase something for $1000 to make this work. Apparently, they did not mention any "crossgrade" price break or any other offer that would recognize his perpetual license and the expired yearly software plan that he previously invested in. So I just wanted to reach out to everyone in order to see if there was something that I missed with regards to getting some type of loyalty price break for him. Please let me know as soon as possible, since I have a follow-up meeting with him tomorrow morning. This just seems like there must be something... Thanks again everyone.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 07-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Need help regarding my client's licenses

That price *is* the "crossgrade" price or in modern speak a license reinstatement. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

He purchased the wrong thing. You all should have checked with a Sweetwater sales rep, or read the website more carefully... while all this is confusing their site actually has the clearest info on this.

You folks need to work with Sweetwater to sort out returning what he purchased and buying the correct product, it's actually better you purchased from Sweetwater and can sort that out there than have to deal with the Avid online store.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That price *is* the "crossgrade" price or in modern speak a license reinstatement. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

He purchased the wrong thing. You all should have checked with a Sweetwater sales rep, or read the website more carefully... while all this is confusing their site actually has the clearest info on this.

You folks need to work with Sweetwater to sort out returning what he purchased and buying the correct product, it's actually better you purchased from Sweetwater and can sort that out there than have to deal with the Avid online store.
First of all, Darryl, thanks so much for your reply.

As my client was desperate and in control of his desktop, so he just banged ahead and selected based on his own choice. There were no sales reps on force when we went online early EDST, so we got what we thought was workable. As you mentioned, more exploration of the site and/or a rep would have been better.

And thanks for the AVID online service "warning"... still so unprofessional.

Anyway, you would think that AVID would give better pricing for crossgrades in general- not in your personal direct control, but "just sayin"...
Thanks again.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 07-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Avid does not want you even to buy this. Those reinstatements are a legacy offering only available from dealers. And dealers are easier to reach a live person and manage exchanges.

Your client avoided paying Avid something like several hundred dollars per year for several years. So Avid is not going to give away this software, they want to train people to pay up for annual support or subscriptions. The full price now is $2,999, so they are saving $2k or so over repurchasing, or they can subscribe annually for around the same price as the reinstatement. Or if they don't need Ultimate, sell those licenses and get Pro Tools standard.