Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 05:38 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default How Do You Record Vocals and HEAR effects but not RECORD them??

I have been using the Digi 001 and I dig it- problem is, when I've got someone singing, (for example) I have not figured out how to allow them to have compression, EQ, reverb or any of that stuff WHILE THEY ARE SINGING . . . I always want to record it DRY so I can change my mind about any of the effects, but I can't find any info about this . . . is it possible?

"I Gotta Hear More Cowbell!!"
Jhon
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 07-02-2002, 05:53 AM

Default Re: How Do You Record Vocals and HEAR effects but not RECORD them??

When you are recording directly to an audio channel and put effects on it, you are hearing effects only and not recording them.

When you are recording into an aux channel then to an audio channel and put effects on the aux channel, then you are recording effects as well as hearing them.

I have a fever and the only thing that will help is more cowbell.

How many songs actually feature cowbell anyway?
Old 07-02-2002, 07:11 AM

Def Leppard used cowbells alot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (donk, donk, donk, donk, donk, donk- Alright... I got somethin' to say.... it's better to burn out... than fade away)

chris
Aux Tracks are the way to go, bus out to an aux and record the effect only to that track then you can add as much or as little effect as you want and it' s not on the actual take itself.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:15 AM

Yeh a plug-in is not destructive.. you can just bypass or change them at anytime. what's recorded is always dry, (or has whatever outboard effects you are using on it.) Anyway I recorded a song last month and threw a cowbell in at the end.. very poppy sounding..almost too much for me.
Type o Neg. uses a cowbell in black #1
Old 07-02-2002, 07:17 AM

Yeh a plug-in is not destructive.. you can just bypass or change them at anytime. what's recorded is always dry, (or has whatever outboard effects you are using on it.) Anyway I recorded a song last month and threw a cowbell in at the end.. very poppy sounding..almost too much for me.
Type o Neg. uses a cowbell in black #1
Old 07-02-2002, 08:43 AM

guys I gotta tell ya. I need more cowbell...

...Listen babies when we're done here you're all gonna be wearing golden diapers...
Old 07-02-2002, 02:21 PM

Will Ferrell is always funny but Christopher Walken is an unexpected riot!

OK Guys... heres the cowbell scoop

Oh, first off... hats off to Jhon. Good one.

Everyone knows the song, Don't fear the reaper by BOC. SNL did a skit with Will Ferrel as the cowbell player for BOC as they were recording the song in the studio. Christopher Walken was the producer and kept stopping the session to get the cowbell player to play consistently louder. Thus the lines... "I gotta hear more cowbell", etc.

Absolute classic skit for SNL. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 02:58 PM

All you wimps and your Cow Bells, -real- musicians use the whole COW.

mooooooooo! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2002, 12:13 AM

Mississippi Queen and Honky Tonk Women brought joy to session cow bell players the world over.

You know "Don't fear the reaper" could use a lot more cow bell - but hey...what song couldn't?
Old 07-03-2002, 12:20 AM

beethoven's fifth could defintely use a cowbell. anyone ever hear Roxy and Elsewhere? ruth underwood on some tuned cowbells.
"this is about a place i used to live, where they used to grow chickens"