Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 AM

Default URGENT - Pro Tools wiped my session (but not the audio tracks)! Help!

Basically I've been recording my band's EP in Pro Tools M-Powered 7 on Windows XP SP 3, and I'd recorded the drums, the bass and the clean guitars (about ten guitar tracks altogether). After mixing it one day I try to close it, it gives me the old "access violation occurred" message, then this:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program D:/Program Files/Digidesign/Pro Tools/ProToolsLE.exe"

I click OK, the program closes, I re-open my session and all the audio tracks in the edit window are gone. I don't mean the entire mix is gone.

All my faders, fader levels, effects, aux sends, pan settings, etc etc are all there. The audio files are still saved in the session's audio files folder. Everything is there, just not in the session window.

When I try to import the audio back into the session, it comes up with the options for loading it in at the start of the track or "region list". Obviously the start loads them all in at the start of the track, which is undesirable because they all had their own position within the track (the only tracks this is OK for are the drum tracks as they were all recorded together anyway). Region List simply puts text in the region list and I'm not sure what else.

Basically the (possibly totally noobish) question I'm asking is this - is there any way that Pro Tools may be able to place all the tracks back in their original places when I import them (I didn't mark any kind of time stamp on the audio tracks after I recorded them, I don't know if Pro Tools does that automatically), or is it just fact that I'm going to either have to import the audio and spend forever finding the exact place for everything/just give up and re-record everything?

I appreciate this might be a totally stupid question, but please help me out, I'm not used to this kind of thing happening and I'm desperate! Any help you give me will be much appreciated!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Re: URGENT - Pro Tools wiped my session (but not the audio tracks)! Help!

UPDATE - I imported the tracks into the Region List, then right clicked and checked the timestamps of each track, and they were all different and seemed relevant to the tracks, so I'm thinking there's hope yet.

I have two questions now - is it possible for me to simply apply these to the audio tracks after I import them back into the session as opposed to having to note the timestamps down and go through every track moving them all separately? Well, at least having the exact time will help with that.

My other question is, I now have a tonne more audio files than I started off with - instead of having just "Bass Mic 1", I now have "Bass Mic 1.1", "Bass Mic 1.2", etc etc. I'm not sure if these are all different or not, or if they're required for my session. I'm basically just wanting to know if I need to import every single audio file (where there was about 22 audio tracks I'd recorded, they've been split up into about 60... I assume this is where I punched in and punched out), and if I don't, is there a way I can tell which ones I need and don't need before I import them all?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Re: URGENT - Pro Tools wiped my session (but not the audio tracks)! Help!

If worst comes to worst, and you have the automatic backup feature enabled, you should be able to open a backup of the session with everything back in place.. The auto backup saved me when I had a freeze up and my session audio data was actually gone...pfft! Sorry I'm not more engineering inclined, but just in case you hadn't thought of this..