Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Default G5 crashing after new motherboard and PROCESOR!

i wrote my story of my G5 here
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...t=water+cooled

well....

i did a few sessions this week with a fresh motherboard and processor in my G5 and all seemed to go OK

a couple hours of mixing and a complete hynotism CD and almost all was well

i had problems burning cds a couple of times so i ordered a new pioneer 116 from OWC

yesterday i did some vocals while a friend punched me in and after about an hour the mouse froze

i removed the optical drive since it may be doing something weird ..i don't know whether it could be spitting out some bad data or not

the mouse continues to freeze up the computer when the magma cables are plugged in the computer....especially when pro tools is launched

when they are not

i can use the internet and the computer has not mouse frozen with that config so far

right now i'm typing with the cables in but pro tools is not launched and all seem ok....but i will try again and see what happens

should i hook up HD2 internal to see if my magma is suspect?

doing that seems to be my best notion.

i played a wave file a moment ago through the core audio

and it played fine so i quit that then within a minute it froze while trying to edit this thread

i have no idea what to do or where to trouble shoot past what i've posted

i'm at the end of my wits here.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Lightbulb Re: G5 crashing after new motherboard and PROCESOR!

I think you have to take the chassis out of the setup and see if your problems persist. A new motherboard, and therefore a new processor, means that those components should not be the problem. I have to believe that the probability of being given a faulty motherboard is next to zero.

I have not used a chassis in years. I refuse to buy a chassis. I know if you want (or need) more than a HD 3 system you have no choice. If you remove the chassis and your problems go away, perhaps you could start lobbying Digidesign to make a Super Accel Core? Imagine having the equivalent of an HD 2 system in one card! That would free up a PCI slot, and in theory you would be able to get an HD 6 system without a chassis. Ah, but I am dreaming. If I were you, I would remove the chassis and see what happens. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Re: G5 crashing after new motherboard and PROCESOR!

If I was going to guess, you have some kind of bad hardware. This could be RAM, your optical drive, your video card, etc.

I just went through this with a G4, it turned out that it had a bad RAM slot. The final fix was just to pull one stick of RAM and move it to a different slot.

I would start by finding something that can cause the problem consistently. Generally something CPU intensive. For me this was rendering video. Then you need to run it until it crashes, over and over. Each time, try changing something. Start out with as little connected to the computer as possible, then keep adding stuff one by one.

Didn't you just have one of these die on you? If you have the old one laying around still, try swapping parts between the two machines.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
A new motherboard, and therefore a new processor, means that those components should not be the problem. I have to believe that the probability of being given a faulty motherboard is next to zero.
That is so wrong to think that way!
I also don't believe it's a "new" Mobo and processor, maybe refurbished. Apple no longer carries G5
parts, those G5s that have leaks are either not repaired, or if you have Apple Care, a Mac Pro is given to you.

Jimi,

After removing the external chassis, remove ALL the memory sticks and reseat them.

Did they replace the power supply?? That is the FIRST thing to go when the coolant leaks.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
That is so wrong to think that way!
I also don't believe it's a "new" Mobo and processor, maybe refurbished. Apple no longer carries G5
parts, those G5s that have leaks are either not repaired, or if you have Apple Care, a Mac Pro is given to you.
+1

"New" parts for a discontinued machine = Used parts that tested good on the bench

"Refurbished" parts = Used parts that weren't tested at all. Someone pulled them and put them in an anti-static bag. That's it.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM

the computer is not acting quirky now until the magma cables are pluged into the magma card in the G5 in the same way i always did for a couple of years with much success.

i appreciate all comments so far keep them coming please

Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAFXMX View Post

Did they replace the power supply?? That is the FIRST thing to go when the coolant leaks.

i was told by my tech that it was only a minor leak

the power supply seems to be powering everything

the computer works fine it seems but not when the magma cables are in it at time

i can do a 7 hour session or have it mouse freeze after launch

it has varied.

right now it's not lasting very long

Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM

pardon my numerous posts on this thing

but i must update my progress of trouble shooting

the G5 crashed NOW ....WITHOUT the magma cables on it

frozen mouse

then on restart a kernal...the kind where you get it in multi languages

so this shows me (i think) that the computer is not right.

how can i have done several sessions last week if it was the digi 192 or the magma

now I'm back to pointing the finger at the computer

what are symptoms of RAM

what are symtoms of Power Supply?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM

The same screen you are getting is the one I was getting with my RAM problem. That's a good place to start. Pull all of your RAM except one chip, then try moving it around in various slots.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
The same screen you are getting is the one I was getting with my RAM problem. That's a good place to start. Pull all of your RAM except one chip, then try moving it around in various slots.

will do.

tomorrow is another day

i'm frustrated after posting that it happen only when the magma cables were in it and then i get the two types of crashes back to back with no magma plugged in

also the optical drive is removed waiting for a new one i decided to replace that whether it needed it or not.

any other ideas or realization will be appreciated as well