Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 08:20 AM

Default pro tools le vs. avid xpress pro problem

hello

im a mac user:
g5
duel 1.8 gig
2 gigs of ram
mac os x.3.7

i installed mbox and pro tools le seems to work fine.

i installed avid xpress pro 4.6 and avid crashes during start up.

i contacted the avid tech support and they told me that avid doesnt work with
pro tools and that and that i have to get rid of pro tools...its a mac thing

after doing research before i bought avid such as talking to my citys main avid and protools distributer as well as looking on the avid and pro tools site, this conflict is no where mentioned.
in fact avid sells a bundle which includes pro tools le along with the mbox.

after bringing this up to the tech support fellow he said "thats only for pc ...its a mac problem"

for gods sake avid owns pro tools do you thing rather then blame mac for their problems they could actually make products that work together

well it looks like i have return either pro tools or my avid and i know how much store love to take back used software.

the question is: can avid and pro tools live together in a mac g5 and if so how?

why cant we all just get along?

stan coxinholder
Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: pro tools le vs. avid xpress pro problem

I tried Avid Express and it screwed up Protools. The choice was easy. Goodbye Avid. If you look on the Avid site, the new HD updates are available for PC but for Mac OS it says "in 2005". Avid is clearly a PC software ported to the Mac.
I bought Final Cut Pro HD and it is very similar to AVID and plays nice with all my Mac software - including PT.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Avid

Hi,

You might try installing Avid first. If this does not work for you, the only solution would be to have dedicated operating systems on separate start-up partitions, one for Pro Tools LE and one for Avid.

Currently, the only qualified co-install of Avid and Pro Tools for Mac OSX is with Pro Tools TDM 6.6 which supports the Avid Mojo.

regards,
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 02-10-2005, 01:40 PM

I had this problem. You need to update to the newest version of avid. Then uninstall pro-tools, install avid, then re-install pro tools. It works, but you have to make sure you are running the right versions of each software platform. I'm currently on Avid DV Xpress Pro 4.6 with PT LE 6.7. It also worked with PT 6.4. I did quite a runaround with many tech folks at avid before finally speaking with the supervisor who informed me of the fix.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:15 PM

until Avid 5 or PT 6.8 comes out. It is either compatable or not.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM

This seems odd, since Avid own Digidesign.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 PM

I understand your frustration, it's very annoying indeed.

But the good news is: Avid Xpress and ProTools can live on the same machine.
When starting up Avid, hold the shift key. If your project doesn't open automatically, hold your shift key again after chosing user and project. This way Avid by-passes the Digi CoreAudio Manager.

For 002 users: keep your 002 switched off during the above mentioned process, then switch the mixer on and you can use 'alt src to mon' function and use the same audio monitoring for your Avid as you use for your ProTools sessions.

I sure hope this misery will be in the past when Avid releases Xprees Pro HD for Mac later this year.
Mac Os X 10.3.8