Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Audio file could not be found!

Last night, I was working on guitar parts, and now when I launch the session, I get a "Relinking" audio file could not be found. I did a search and the aiff file is in the Audio folder within' the correct song, and I can play/hear it in the Relink window, but when I import the aiff file into PT, it won't play, and the file is grey.

Is there any way to reactivate the file?

This also happened on another song I was working on last week, so I'm wondering if this is a bug or something!

Thanks in advance.
Dean
Old 09-02-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Audio file could not be found!

Same thing happened to me !!! NO reason I can think of.

I got these back by (approximate procedure... I did a bunch of takes and finally got it)
1) Open the session, When the session asks to relink files I chose manual not automatic. Automatic ran forever and couldn't fin it. You may have to highlight the file in the upper window first.
2) There is a dialog at the bottom of the link thing window that says something like "find likely candidates" -- click this
3) I think then you may have to clik once on the file in the lower window now to highlight it
4) Go to the weird icon dropdown menu upper left (what is that a picture of?) and select "relink or manual relink file"
5) This does it.

Let me know how this goes for you.....

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-02-2004, 03:29 PM

Lee,

Thanks for the step by step. I'll give it a try.

What concerns me is why it happens in the first place. Somehow, either the file gets lost in the path, or there's a glitch in the program.

Dean
Old 09-02-2004, 04:10 PM

Guys, this is happening to just ONE of your audio files per any given session? Or More than one file? Or ALL files ??

What is each of your guys's exact set ups? Via Computer, OS, Drives, PT Version and system, and third party stuff/cards, etc..???
Old 09-02-2004, 04:33 PM

Good points...

I had this happen only once so far. It really was a simple session, revibe, some EQs, no soft synths. When I opened the session the next day two out of about 20 files were mysteriously unlinked (even though they were right there with the right names and everything!). External drives were OFF.

G4 Dual 1G Quicksilver/1G ram/HD2 Accel/PT 6.4cs3/OSX:10.3.4/Seperate internal audio only drive

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-02-2004, 09:43 PM

This is a 6.X thing it happens in Non Distructive recording. Try deleting all off line regions. I think what happens is the the odd file somehow a small piece gets left in the session. anyway Deleting the offline regions always fixes it for me.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:12 AM

This is very interesting considering you guys say they are NOT "files not found" type of things, but rather "Files not LINKED ??"

Can Digi please come in and confirm something here, and/or address this issue ?? And give some answers??

I have yet to experience this, which leads me to Touchwoods reply about "Destructive Record" ... I never to rarely use Destructive record,,, So I wonder if that is why I have not yet experinced it ?? Hummmm ?? Anyway, to back up Touchwoods statement, I figured I should mention that...

Thing is, is I have done it once or twice.....

Anyway, some responds from DIGI would be nice here.. If I do start to experience that, I will have to start my next reply in all bold letters here
Old 09-03-2004, 04:06 PM

I've only seen this happen with sessions originating from OMFIs. What was peculiar about the instance I saw was that the unique IDs that should have been associated with the audio files from the OMFI export were gone. I did a manual relink choosing to match name and duration. After that was completed, I used the Save Session Copy In command to save a fresh session and duplicate the audio files (sans fades) to a different location on my hard drive. It cleared it up.

My question for those experiencing this is are you working with OMFIs?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
My question for those experiencing this is are you working with OMFIs?
No OMFIs here.

PT 6.4cs8 in on my master drive with the OSX, and my audio files are being recorded to a SATA Raptor 10K drive. I have a G5-dual 2.0

The odd thing is that when I'm in the relink window, and I highlight the missing file by holding the cursor over the file, it'll play, but the file itself doesn't exist in the audio folder.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The odd thing is that when I'm in the relink window, and I highlight the missing file by holding the cursor over the file, it'll play, but the file itself doesn't exist in the audio folder.
Did you check your disk allocation? The only time I've seen an audio folder exist in the workspace that couldn't be browsed there was because of a permissions issue.