Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Default Got HD PCIx cards- switch from mac to PC?

So I've been reading lots of threads about native vs HD, new computers, RTAS vs TDM, etc. But I can't seem to find a good thread on the dilemna for those of us still using Macs with PCI slots. Direct me there if I missed it.

Like everyone else, I'd love to know what's coming and when, but we know that Digi isn't telling. I expect whatever I decide to do will be followed within 3 months by something new and wonderful. I know there are lots of you out there in the same boat.

I've got a dual G5 2.7 (8 gig HD3 with 2 192 i/os system non accel PCX cards) and want to get an intel 8 core something. Money is a factor and at this point, I'm more interested in VIs and RTAS than more TDM plugins. I also use a lot of outboard gear when mixing. I'm sick of bouncing all my VIs before I mix only to want to change them and have to bounce again.

To review:
1) Digi trade in to PCIe Accel and new mac $7-8k
2) PCIx to PCIe chassis and new mac $6-7k
and finally GASP!
3) Get a screaming PC with PCIx cards $2-3k

I don't like PCs. I have 5 macs I use all the time, and one PC I had for Giga that I never use anymore. But in terms of getting an intel multicore without spending a ridiculous amount that might become "old" soon, I'm liking the economics of it.

The question is, will I hate switching to a PC to run PT. I'll keep the G5 to run the other Mac software I use and as a mixdown deck.

Once it's up and running, will it look any different? Can I remap the control and command keys so I don't have to keep 2 sets of shortcuts straight and for the convenience of other engineers who use my studio?

It probably won't be hard to talk me out of this idea, but I have to consider it.

Thanks,

Neale Eckstein

www.foxrun.org