Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 AM

Default Re: PT 12.1 Video Engine Problems

Hello together

I've experienced the same video-problems like all the others here and after reading through this thread, i tried to solve the problem by myself.

The first thing I've done, was disabling my "nVidia-Inspector Multi-Display-Powersaver" that i use, when working on 3 monitors. Maybe my GTX470 was to slow for rendering the video at 51MHz coreclock and 131MHz memoryclock.

After that I went to "Setup -> Preferences -> Operation".

I've disabled the option "Prevent Tearing" (I don't care about this in postpro).
I also set the "Play Start Latency" value from "1" to "2".

I don't know if this is a solution for every user here and i give no guarantee it will work for you, but after changing this settings, the problem was solved for me and i could go back to work.

Please post your feedback here after making this changes.

btw: I'm running PT12HD on Win7 x64.

Best regards!
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: png tearing off.PNG (4.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-11-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Röstzwiebel View Post
Hello together

I've experienced the same video-problems like all the others here and after reading through this thread, i tried to solve the problem by myself.

The first thing I've done, was disabling my "nVidia-Inspector Multi-Display-Powersaver" that i use, when working on 3 monitors. Maybe my GTX470 was to slow for rendering the video at 51MHz coreclock and 131MHz memoryclock.

After that I went to "Setup -> Preferences -> Operation".

I've disabled the option "Prevent Tearing" (I don't care about this in postpro).
I also set the "Play Start Latency" value from "1" to "2".

I don't know if this is a solution for every user here and i give no guarantee it will work for you, but after changing this settings, the problem was solved for me and i could go back to work.

Please post your feedback here after making this changes.

btw: I'm running PT12HD on Win7 x64.

Best regards!
Robert
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was searching all over the place for a solution and this worked for me. I'm running Protools 12 on Win10, and i was getting the error "Video Engine unable to stop" and working in Post Production i needed that video to work. Thank you so much man, you saved a life today!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Default Video Engine Video from Avid

I strongly recommend everyone using the video engine to go and watch this video from Avid: Pro Tools: Get a Grip on the Pro Tools Video Engine

https://youtu.be/6gxLZid2VR4

They just did this webinar earlier this week. It is really a great guide with tons of useful info. I have read tons of threads, whitepapers, readmes etc. on this topic and this sums it all up really nicely. They show some great tips and tricks and have good ideas for troubleshooting. +1000
Old 03-13-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostlynx View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was searching all over the place for a solution and this worked for me. I'm running Protools 12 on Win10, and i was getting the error "Video Engine unable to stop" and working in Post Production i needed that video to work. Thank you so much man, you saved a life today!
Hi Frostlynx,
i appreciate your feedback, thank you, you're welcome!

Best regards!
Robert
Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 AM

going out of my mind with this same issue: "waiting for video operation to complete" and Avid video engine was unable to stop" am on OSX 10.9.4 and ProTools 12.5.0
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Video Engine Video from Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
I strongly recommend everyone using the video engine to go and watch this video from Avid: Pro Tools: Get a Grip on the Pro Tools Video Engine

https://youtu.be/6gxLZid2VR4

They just did this webinar earlier this week. It is really a great guide with tons of useful info. I have read tons of threads, whitepapers, readmes etc. on this topic and this sums it all up really nicely. They show some great tips and tricks and have good ideas for troubleshooting. +1000

very good info thanks
Old 12-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Been a long time since I've been on the DUC. I'm currently working on a Trash Can Mac Pro running OS X 10.11.6 - 3ghz 8core with 64gb of ram. Pro Tools 12.6.1 HD most recently clean installed (as one of many recent attempts to clear up this AVE bs)

I'm running a Blackmagic Ultra Studio Monitor (thunderbolt). I thought maybe the issue was the BM box (god knows their Desktop Video software is useless past 10.4.3) so I did a test running my playback screen directly out of the Trash Can HDMI old school and found I had the exact same AVE issues, so check that off as Blackmagic NOT being the issue.

99% of my sessions are run off of Pro Res 422 Proxy QT files that I converted myself in compressor. Pro Res has never been an issue for me. My QT files are playing back off the internal SSD while my PT Sessions play off a SATA Thunderbolt. Switching the QTs to a separate SATA drive had no effect on the issue.

What I'm running into as it seems like many other is: I open PT. I load up my session. I press play and Pro Tools just will not play, so I hit stop and get the dreaded "The AVE was unable to stop" message. I can tend to get it going sometimes by moving to a different place in the timeline and hitting spacebar again. A lot of times I just get the "AVE engine won't unable to stop" error over and over and over again. Other times, certain sessions have absolutely no problems whatsoever. It feels like a very sporadic bug that is there most of the time but not ALL of the time and is very session dependent.

It does seem like the AVE is MUCH worse in Pro Tools 12 than it every was. Perhaps it's something to do with the Trash Can itself. I hope not as I was really excited to ditch my old heavy tower for the newer model with more cores and more ram.

So far the solution that seems to help in any way is unchecking Prevent tearing , unchecking Enable Hardware during scrub and changing Play Start Latency to 2. I'll touch base tomorrow once I fire up my session for a full days work and see if this is a placebo or if it does in fact help with the overall AVE issues.

I've been emailing back and forth with an Avid Customer Service Tech over a separate issue with clip FX and I recently mentioned my AVE pains to him. I will reply and let you know what he says on the matter.

Very frustrated.