Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2000, 05:58 AM

Default New Midi features in Digi 001????

I just came off the Harmonycentral summer NAMM 2000 show report. The digidesign video stated that an upgraded version of Protools LE will be released with an event list editor, groove quantizing and 'potentially' notation editing! Is this true and if so, in which version???? These 2 features would greatly enhance the MIDI aspect of Protools LE that's for sure!! Than mabey after that they could also work out a way of adding 'folder' tracks like in Logic Audio as well as a nice dedicated drum editor (like in Cubase, Digital Performer and Logics Hyper Editor) amongst other things. We can't expect Digidesign to simply bring out the MIDI features that have been in the top sequencers for the last umpteen years but it's important that digidesign realise that they cannot skimp on development of the midi side of Protools LE! They are advertising this as the 'be all and end all' solution for the serious home/project studio which these days is often based around at least one, two or more serious bits of midi gear (synthes/samplers etc). At the same time, whilst I'm not a SMPTE user at present (ie- haven't gotten into much music for picture work), I agreee with the hundreds of other posts that Digidesign should add smpte capabilities to Digi001. Come on guys- all the major audio/midi sequencers (Logic, Cubase, Vision, Digital Performer, Cakewalk etc) have SMPTE capabilities! I know there will come a time in the future when I'll need SMPTE (like many others) and I can certainly tell you that I won't be spending 20K Aussie to upgrade to a full TDM protools system just to get SMPTE which I can get in Logic Platinum for $1,500.00 Aussie!!!!!!

Mabey I'm being a bit critical and really mabey should keep my trap shut because I won't be needing SMPTE for a while, but I hope Digidesign realise that whilst they have come out with a great new studio product (001) fact remains that they have some stiff competition from the other manufacturers which they wouldn't have if they released this products 5 years ago. It defeats the purpose of releasing a product and touting it as 'the only thing you'll need' if you have to hook up another sequencer to get better midi capabilities and SMPTE TC. However, lets give Digidesign a chance!!!! By continuosly developing Protools LE they will no doubt greatfully increase an already large number of Digi001 users!!!! Remember this Digidesign. Cheers.

PS- Thanks Digidesign for kindly posting me the Digi001 video (all the way to Australia I might add). I really enjoyed the American sarcasm all over it!!!! Thanks again!