Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Default Streaming Pro Tools

Hi,

I remember a while ago that Nicecast from Rouge Amoeba seemed like the way folks were going when having to play a mix live for a client remotely... understandably the audio quality won't be perfect, and this is fine...it's just for checking levels, edits, etc.

So is this the way to go? Or is there something better people are using?

Also, will the optical in on a Mac Pro see a 192 IO optical out as a standard stereo optical in? I'm planning on multing via PT my mix out to the optical out and plan on sending this to the Mac Pro for broadcast.

Thanks for any insight!

Best,

JSR
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Streaming Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Hi,

I remember a while ago that Nicecast from Rouge Amoeba seemed like the way folks were going when having to play a mix live for a client remotely... understandably the audio quality won't be perfect, and this is fine...it's just for checking levels, edits, etc.

So is this the way to go? Or is there something better people are using?

Also, will the optical in on a Mac Pro see a 192 IO optical out as a standard stereo optical in? I'm planning on multing via PT my mix out to the optical out and plan on sending this to the Mac Pro for broadcast.

Thanks for any insight!

Best,

JSR
Hi,

Also "source live" http://sourceelements.com/source-live/

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks Chris!

Any experience with the Source Elements Live? I'd rather of course go with the $40 Nicecast over the $400 Source Elements, but if the Source Elements works better I'd go for it.

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Source Live works great and is more "pro" than Nicecast, in that you have better control over who can listen in with passwords and such. IIRC, Nicecast only lets you broadcast on an open server and whoever happens to have the address can log in at any time and listen to whatever is broadcasting at that time. That's not necessarily worth a 1000% price hike to me. I'd personally recommend you dish out for Source Live only when you dish out for Source Connect itself, as it becomes a lot less costly. Unless you do a lot of online approvals, 400$ is steep.

Especially when Skype is free. Have you considered that option?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Source Live is very very good - audio quality is fantastic, delays are low and it just works. They have a new iphone app coming soon too, but you can stream your mixes to an iphone now from source live using Streamitall (free app).

I can recommend it highly

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Hi Mike,

Tried Source Live last night...at first tested it from my PT machine to my laptop and it worked great...I then tried to test it with a friend outside of my studio and he was having a problem connecting to the weblink I sent. I suspect it has to do with router settings on his end...do you have any experience on how clients should set their routers up?

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM

I've been using Nicecast for doing dance music edits. I'm in San Diego and the client is in NYC. Nicecast works GREAT with PT9 on my MBPro since I don't need an interface and Nicecast can pick-off the audio using Core Audio.

The delay is around :05 seconds, but I'm pushing a 320kbps MP3 that, when the client is listening on her computer speakers with iTunes, sounds better to her than anything she's buying online.

And yes... setting up your router is the biggest PITA about using it.

Happy shopping...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the reply Eric. I picked up Nicecast...can you share your network / router settings and Nicecast settings..I can DM you if that's better.

I'm using a new Airpot Extreme base station...

Thanks,

JSR
Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 AM

Hi,

I had problems with nicecast and source live, i just couldn't get them to transmit beyond my own network. i put it down to my free modem/router that came with my O2 internet. and always though an apple base station would be the fix.

I also had a similar problem with source live, outsider could tune into my transmission but my audio wouldn't get through. again i think its a router problem

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 AM

Nicecast works for me! I documented it here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287689

Router mapping is crucial -- and depending on your broadband connection, your "modem" may need to be provisioned as a bridge. Discovering that was the solution for me. Took a call to level 3 support at Time Warner Cable to learn that you can't always "simply" slap a router on some cable modems if you want incoming port mapping.

Then I simply followed the nicecast instructions -- and all was perfect.

PS -- you'll have the same port mapping "issue" with any of the possible solutions. I chose the $40 one. My clients love me for this technology.

PPS -- incoming part mapping is a common feature for gamers. When determining if your router can do this, see if it's an approved device for the gaming crowd.

Good luck.

J