Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 Waveforms

I saw a post about this a few days back but it didn't receive much attention - has NO ONE else noticed that it looks like they've brought back the look of the waveforms from PT7?

I remember when I upgraded to PT8, along with the awesome UI changes, the waveforms seemed to draw smoother and more accurately. Now that I'm in 9, they look fuzzy and jagged and pixelated. Pretty much identical to the way waveforms looked in PT7. There's no way that no one else has noticed this. I jump from 8 at the studio to 9 on my home rig daily and I'm surprised all over again every time I open up 9 . . . I don't know if this is a result of the waveforms drawing more accurately, or just the removal of whatever engine made the waveforms look the way they did in 8.

Anyone?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 Waveforms

this could be a performance decision. While it's drawing it might use less of the graphics card if the waveforms are crapier. Either way it doesn't matter, flat lines is all you need to see everything can be found with your ears. Hell some of my best sessions and most plug ins used were in Pro Tools 6. I had like 45 RTAS running on a Single Core Pentium 4 Dell. I could care less how the waveforms look my clients just want to hear the word pro tools. look at Reaper, crap looking but works.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM

I noticed this too upon installing 9. Make sure that View>Waveforms>Outlines is checked. That helps.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Holden - that looks like the solution.
I appreciate the concise answer.

Wasn't really looking for a lesson on seeing waveforms vs. depending on my ears, AxeDye. The way I want to see the waveforms is a personal preference matter - I'm not looking for lectures on basic audio fundamentals or uneducated banter based on speculation.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM

hahaha cool to see a solution I am just saying that waveforms are just wave forms, they still got recorded the same. Like it's funny when people try to tell me a control 24 or a c24 improves their sound, both completely different subjects but i mean a wave form style or a controller these things are just pretty nothing more.

I know you have no dreams to get hired into a big studio and probably just want your own or most likely have your own set up, which is fine. I am just saying if you went into a major studio for an interview and they had a room with pro tools 6 or an older TDM system and you made a comment about the wave forms you most likely lost the opportunity.

I have had my share with in studio experience and on set film audio production as well as post fortunately never had to be a runner, unfortunately always chose to work for free. Uneducated? hmmm I am no rocket scientist but is that word even proper english. maybe but i dont use the term. In the pro audio realm there is a thin line between education, experience, popularity, and talent. I went to school and continue to follow the boards and read up as well as stay in touch with friends who own studios. Experience, well only 5 years but I am only 23, I have about a 10 year span of experience on radio broadcasting gear from the 80's and 90's but that isn't my cup of tea. Popularity.. hmm talk all the crap about the wicked clowns violent j and shaggy 2 dope you want, talk all the crap about ICP and good friend of Kid Rock known as Mike E Clark, talk all the crap about Esham and some of Detroit's finest underground rappers and talk all the crap about this run on sentence, I can definitely say I know the right people. Talent, took a while to discover the engineering talent as I was impatient at first but I have been rapping since i was 14.

the point isn't bragging rights or what I am or how good I am because I am and you are only as good as the artist says. If someone says you are the best at that moment you are, if someone says you suck the next day well guess what to that client you do the customer is always right.

Now to the point, pretty doesn't make big records, talent does as well as the proper names to help promote it. The more experience the more likely your connects will help promote it. If it sounds good education means nothing, anyone who can make a good sounding mix and master is educated, proper education meaning knowing every single piece of gear, how to work it, every detail all your pro tools hot keys and everything you can imagine falls under education and when it gets that detailed really its to land a good job for like Dreamworks or something lol. I am educated but not perfect.

you don't want a lecture this isn't one, just communicating through the forums, trying to give my input, call me out on crap as long as you post against it meaning you prove me where I am wrong, we learn something new every day. An audio engineer will never be an enemy to me only a friend or a mentor of some kind, we must stick together and i never mean to be a dick so i apologize if it seems or seemed that way.

so what do you say? are we cool? seriously
Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
Uneducated? hmmm I am no rocket scientist but is that word even proper english.
The irony.......

It never ceases to amaze me how one can ask a simple question online, and some idiot will take your question into the deepest realms of weirdness and use it to assert their "knowledge" of other, totally unrelated matters.

Thanks for the "advice", AxeDye. I will be sure to keep my comments about waveforms under wraps next time I'm looking at some big studio's Pro Tools 6 system.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM

First smile of the day :) thanks guys

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM

FYI the Waveform's are exactly the same as in PT 8.
Best
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Yes I know, for whatever reason when I installed and started up PT9, the waveforms didn't have the outlines. I had never had to adjust that setting before so I didn't know it was even a setting. Thanks though.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebass305 View Post
Yes I know, for whatever reason when I installed and started up PT9, the waveforms didn't have the outlines. I had never had to adjust that setting before so I didn't know it was even a setting. Thanks though.
My experience exactly.