Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Video Output Options Compendium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Note that this is an issue with all external boxes controlled via MMC or 9-pin. It´s a ProTools-issue not an issue of the bonsai. You will encounter the same with VVTR, doremi, bonsai, beta-machines etc. etc.
hi frank,

could this also be the reason why for instance voiceQ ADR-software doesn´t work in record loop mode??

thnx!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 PM

I work in a post house in Toronto. As of right now we use the Canopus boxes. They work ok. But they do drop in and out quiet often especially since PT 7 came out. (didn't notice it as much in V6)

They are cheep the picture looks ok, But I have noticed that the whole picture isn't actually displayed on certain TVs. (flip between Computer monitor and TV screen and you see edges are missing) especially on consumer HD TVs. However the older crappy 4:3 TVs display closer to full image.

The DV codec is kinda annoying, But then again now a days you can barely get a Ruff MASTER Tape (Dbeta,HDSR,DVCam Tape) from a client everything is download my crappy 15 frame low rez quicktime. ("can't you just use that? I sent you a link?") "Yes I can use that but please put some dammm Burn in time code on it!!!!!! And how come this quicktime is at 24fps when it going to Debta at 29.97fps!!!

kd
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Hey Guys, Im trying to switch things around from music production to audio post production. I've always wanted to write music for film and have done a few re write to movie trailers etc and wanting to get more serious. I've been reading this post and done some research and the Video Satellite LE seems to be the most common among big post studios and yet I can not afford another Computer or an PT HD system. I'm running 4x 24" Monitors in my studio along with a 2009 8core Mac Pro, 6x4gigs of ram and Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE. I have the screen real estate so thats not a problem. I want to get a post set up that is fairly affordable under $1k but cheaper the better right now as i'm just sort of playing around with it for now as a trial run.

Is the only option to run the quicktime video in pro tools and write to it like i've been doing? it doesn't seem very frame accurate. I'm very much new to the whole post set up and open to trying new things.

I have read that there are cards I could do and running on a separate buss (not sure what that means ) but this is what i have left open on my mac:
- 1 PCIe Card slot left
- 1 eSata port installed and available
- No firewire ports left on my Mac pro unless i use the front ports (I could add a card to the 4th slot)
- No hard drive bays left

I just want something that is accurate and can run smoothly when tracking and mixing.

Thanks In Advance
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM

If your on a new 8 core you should not need another system for VVTR. Running with a blackmagic intensity pro you can work in surround and monitor video directly from your session. The intensity pro is a PCIe . Slap it in your empty slot. You should not have sync problems running a QT window in PT. Check your codecs, somethings wrong there.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 AM

KD_special: what you are seeing regarding the missing edge of the video is due to something called underscan in the televisions. In the old days when crt tvs ruled the land stuff on the edge of the picture was often not displayed. Hence the expression TV-safe which refers to how much of the picture you have to consider lost in the edges of the tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Having used the Aurora Fuse X card for years with ProTools in a dual G5--a solution that met our needs perfectly--I must say that the Blackmagic Intensity we now have in our MacPro 8-core has been a disappointment, for the following reasons:

1. It does not handle the variety of QT formats that the Fuse card did, nor will it automatically fill the display regardless of movie dimensions as the Fuse card did.

2. While it does output video from PT, it does not work with Digital Performer or even Quicktime Player.

3. When no video is running, our monitors are black. With the Fuse card there was an extended desktop feature that allowed us to display a desktop background (our company logo) when no video was running.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM

the fact that the Intensity doesn't work with DP is surely DP's fault, not the card's?

Why aren't you using the Fuse in a G5 as a virtual VTR?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM

chuckbutler:
1. What codecs gives you problems? I have never experienced that the card wont output a video stream. All material I have thrown at it has been outputted.
A few of the lowres quicktimes I have been given have been displayed without filling the screen.

2. I agree that it should. Don´t know if DP & quicktime is to blame. Blackmagic should have gotten something working for quicktime especially since it is such a standard playback program that probably all their customers use daily.

3. Maybe you should try out using standard gfx cards instead. (not supported, but I hear many are doing it.) I had what you are talking about when I was on PC with two gfx cards. (Beware of burn-in on plasma and old crt tvs.)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
the fact that the Intensity doesn't work with DP is surely DP's fault, not the card's?
I wasn't suggesting "fault"; DP is simply not supported by BMD (or Intensity is not supported by MOTU--either way). I only meant that it was a drawback (a major one for me) compared to Fuse X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
Why aren't you using the Fuse in a G5 as a virtual VTR?
Well, for one thing, the old G5 has moved to Studio B. But that aside, (a) I don't want to crowd the control room any more than it already is, (b) I'd like to keep everything on one machine for simplicity's sake, (c) it's a bit more of a expensive solution than some of the other alternatives we're considering, and (d) I'm a bit leery of Gallery given that they bailed on mTOOLS after we made a fairly substantial investment in time & money. Having said that, it is an option we're looking at.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 AM

OK, i may be wrong on this, but if you can run video satellite LE on 8.0.1 in a G5, will that work with the Fuse? I guess it has to be an older G5 to support the PCI Fuse, but it should be able to run. I guess this means nothing if you can't run the Fuse in leopard for some reason, and I don't know about that.