Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Default No real time play with MIDI.......

OK im a newbee...and i selected a Instrument track pluged in Expand and used my Micro Korg to control the external sounds....hit record on PT and seen that it was recording the MIDI, but i could NOT hear it in real time!! (nor hear the sounds that were in Expand until the playback) but on playback it was comming through the monitors!!! im sure its just some MIDI option that im not aware of!?!?! any replys would be GREAT! Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: No real time play with MIDI.......

That would be a latency issue of the controller interfacing with your MIDI recording device and the sampler. The only way to close that gap is find way to make the interfacing and/or recording device higher performance by some means (upgrading hardware, closing apps, etc)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 PM

lmao....how bout in newbee terms??? ok so i gotta set the latency to default 2 and 512 sample rate??? and on the Mbox 2 i never found a option for "MIDI Thru"??? i just cant hear the sounds as i play them in the instrument track.....but they get recorded and play on playback?!?!?!? HUH!! lol
Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
set the latency to default 2 and 512 sample rate?
Ummm... you shouldn't need to touch those, in fact, it's recommended that you leave the DAE Playback Buffer set to Default.
Quote:
never found a option for "MIDI Thru"?
Pro Tools Menus>Options>MIDI Thru.
Quote:
cant hear the sounds as i play
Ummm... a couple of things to look at:

Pro Tools Menus>Setup>Preferences>MIDI Tab>Default Thru Instrument:

Is this selected as: 'First Selected MIDI Track'?

Pro Tools Menus>Setup>MIDI Studio Setup

Is this configured correctly?

Is the Digidesign Mbox 2 MIDI Interface mapping properly in the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' (Control Panel)?

When was the last time you 'Trashed the Prefs' and rebooted? Trashing the prefs can be found in the Troubleshooting thread as a Sticky at the top of this forum.

filosofem
Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: No real time play with MIDI....... *DELETED*

Post deleted by DigiTechSupt
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM

His problem isn't latency (did you even read his post?). His problem is that he cannot monitor the audio output of XPand when the record transport is running. That is WAY different than latency, and you are confusing the poor newbie. Please stop.

gmantay, please follow filosofem's advice above, and forget all about latency for the time being. You will have to be concerned about it at some time in your process, but it is in no way realated to your current problem.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
hit record on PT and seen that it was recording the MIDI, but i could NOT hear it in real time!! (nor hear the sounds that were in Expand until the playback) but on playback it was comming through the monitors!!!
Sounds like latency to me. He said he can't hear in real-time when recording. So yes, I did read what he said. Sounds like he's facing a ReWire issue if I'm reading correctly now that Expand is a sampler problam like Reason (which I apologize for if I didn't recongnize it).

Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion, and I was clarifying the word latency for him as layman as possible (in a post Digi deleted). I'm leaving it at that.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
i could NOT hear it in real time!! (nor hear the sounds that were in Expand until the playback)
Could not hear the sounds until playback sounds like latency to you? That's a lot of damn latency!
Quote:
Sounds like he's facing a ReWire issue if I'm reading correctly now that Expand is a sampler problam like Reason.
What in the heck are you talking about? Rewire issue? XPand is an RTAS instrument. It has no rewire capabilities whatsoever. He could not be "facing a rewire issue". Even if it were a rewire instrument, what "rewire issue" would he be experiencing?
Quote:
Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion
Indeed, but there is a very broad line between "opinion" and plain fact. There can be no "opinion" about him having a "rewire issue"; XPand is not rewire. It is an RTAS instrument. That's a fact.

If he cannot hear what he is playing at all while he is playing live from the controller (in real time), but can hear it when playback is rolling, it is not a latency issue. That's a fact. Not opinion; fact.

Delay = latency. No audio at all is not latency. If he were experiencing and complaining about "delay" then we could discuss the "opinion" of what might be causing his "latency". He cannot "hear the sounds that were in Expand until the playback"; that's not a latency issue (and that's a fact).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12