Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Mac First Aid!

Well guys,

My G5 Protools HD Audio Harddrive has disappeared for a few days now and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what I should do!!! See how calm I'm being? (I do have most of the important sessions backed up)

Anyways here's what happens...upon bootup of my Mac 10.3.3, it will hang at the part where it says "WAITING FOR LOCAL DISKS".

After a minute or so, the OS will boot up completely and it will say "YOU HAVE INSERTED A DISK CONTAINING NO VOLUMES THAT MAC OSX CAN READ. TO CONTINUE WITH THE DISK INSERTED, CLICK IGNORE"

I have tried clicking on INITIALIZE and tried the "repair disk" option under First Aid but it will fail with the message "THE UNDERLYING TASK REPORTED FAILURE ON EXIT."

Anyways, this has happened before a few months ago and upon reboot the Audio Drive has magically returned. No such luck this time. Suggestions? Is this a corrupt file system or a bad hard drive? I'm more of a PC guy so I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing this situation. Any help would be highly appreciated! Oh yeah the hard drive is a 240 GB Deskstar.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Mac First Aid!

Do you have Diskwarrior available, sounds like a directory problem.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the advice! I don't have diskwarrior but is this my best solution? Any details would be appreciated!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't have diskwarrior but is this my best solution?
That and TechTool Pro are likely your only hope. I would go with DiskWarrior first. Both utilities are worth every penny.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Well I purchased DiskWarrior online and ran it...It detected the missing hard drive and after clicking Rebuild, it scanned and found lots of the directories and folders. However, when I attempted to "Preview" the new rebuilt disk, I would get an error asking me to rerun the program. I tried this several times with the same result.

Before I try other options, does it make a difference whether or not you run Diskwarrior from inside the OS vs. from the bootup CDrom? Remember my system drive is fine, it's just the protools audio drive that's corrupt/damaged so I haven't had to run it from bootup. Just wondering if that makes a difference. I guess I will try some of the other programs you guys have suggested if nothing else with Diskwarrior works.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:28 PM

Personally I have never run the preview, I just replace the directory but that's up to you. Since this is not your boot drive there should be no difference
Old 04-20-2005, 04:54 PM

It didn't give me the option to not "Preview". The "Replace" button wasnt active...only the "Details" and "Preview."
Old 04-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Try booting from Diskwarrior, can't hurt to try.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 PM

When you use Disk Warrior it will not let you replace the directories from your startup disk. As dutchmusik says just boot from the disk warrior disc and then it will let you rebuild it. If you don't have the disk because you bought it online just boot from your apple CD and then use it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
If you don't have the disk because you bought it online just boot from your apple CD and then use it.
I don't think he'll be able to do that. He's using a G5, and when you boot from an Apple CD for OS X, you can only do what the CD will let you do. You can't navigate your hard drive and launch a program. There is, however, a way to make a bootable CD of your system drive, which I believe will then allow you to run DW from another hard disc. Search versiontracker.com for things such as bootable CD.