Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Edit window and cpu usage

I searched the fora and it seems that I'm not alone, however I found no solution.

The problem is, I have to close or minimize the edit window or else ProToolsLE.exe will munch away will most of my cpu resources (current project shows 15% cpu usage with the edit window closed, and 70% with the edit window open...). These numbers are from Windows' Task Manager btw, and not related to Pro Tools' "System Usage".

Any help or ideas much appreciated!

PT8
Windows XP
Asus A8V
Matrox P650

(I do not have this problem with other DAW software)
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Edit window and cpu usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazan View Post
I searched the fora and it seems that I'm not alone, however I found no solution.
Because Digi still hasn't put together a fix for this issue. This has been a KNOWN issue for over a month now and NOTHING from Digi yet.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Because Digi still hasn't put together a fix for this issue. This has been a KNOWN issue for over a month now and NOTHING from Digi yet.

Cheers,
--
Don
Well, not nothing exactly. We're working on fix, but it requires some testing that has to be coordinated with everything else that's in progress. Because of the wide-ranging impact the fix for this issue could cause, final implementation and testing may not be done for some time yet.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Glad to hear you're working on it, but it looks like it's back to 7.4 for me until the major bugs get worked out of 8. As it stands now, I can't use it in my current setup.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM

you are not alone
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Lightbulb Re: Edit window and cpu usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Well, not nothing exactly. We're working on fix, but it requires some testing that has to be coordinated with everything else that's in progress. Because of the wide-ranging impact the fix for this issue could cause, final implementation and testing may not be done for some time yet.
I think if you share with us what you found untill today, maybe us, users, can bring up some idea or a new perspective. When someone uses a software so good like PT8 just a few hours, is so painfully to go back to old version. For example: I can't live without decent midi editing tools and notation.

Please tell us right now: what did you discover?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM

It is a pretty well known and early discovered issue.
Here is more about the PT8 CPU Usage problems:
PT8 CPU Usage
Welcome to the club

These are some of my posts from that thread:
(...)
On average 30% usage of the quad core CPU (Intel Q6600 on Asus P5K Deluxe + graphics on Radeon HD2600Pro) with Edit and Mix windows opened and extended over 2 monitors.
When minimized , usage goes to ca. 3% (!!!). Opened (maximized) jumps up to ca. 30%.
Even when I'm running a session of 20+up audio tracks with very limited EFX (dverb, 2 delays) the usage stays at almost the same (?!) level of around 30%...
(...)
When I minimized PT Mix and Edit windows or opened anything on top of it, I had no problems anymore ...

As I mentioned in my previous posts, the Windows Task Manager with opened PT Edit and Mix windows - with no activity (no playback, no playing VIs, etc...) - is showing 30+% CPU Usage although the PT CPU Usage indicator is very low.

I have a multiboot system based on Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi (disabled), Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit, ARK 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case... 002R.
... So I tried my boot with PT 7.4 on it and... the problems were gone !!! Windows Task Manager CPU Usage stays below 8%. Playing even complex VI's does not even touch it! Everything is rock solid.
(...)
= = =
I checked both, MoBo onboard firewire and approved PCI Firewire card - NO DIFFERENCE, the same problem.
We (in this thread) are using different GFX cards, so the problem is not related to it.
= =

Robert

PT Native 8, 002R, Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi (disabled), RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR2 1066), Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit, ARK 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case...

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Vampa View Post
I think if you share with us what you found untill today, maybe us, users, can bring up some idea or a new perspective. When someone uses a software so good like PT8 just a few hours, is so painfully to go back to old version. For example: I can't live without decent midi editing tools and notation.

Please tell us right now: what did you discover?
I don't have the technical details in front of me, but it had to do with how blitting (rendering of graphical elements) was occurring - it's timing or something to that effect.

In any case, it looks like we have a fix, but as I said it will take some testing as the fix was rather invasive.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
In any case, it looks like we have a fix, but as I said it will take some testing as the fix was rather invasive.
Please test it extensivly and take your time (but not longer ;-)). I came over to PT from Sonar and Cubase for having a more stable system. After some tweaking, PT8 runs smooth as hell on my Vista notebook and I want to keep it this way.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I don't have the technical details in front of me, but it had to do with how blitting (rendering of graphical elements) was occurring - it's timing or something to that effect.

This now gives me some hope.