Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Digi 002 trouble - \"unexpectedly quits\" at launch

Hi there

I've been using my new digi 002r (and presonus digimax LT) with my powerbook and protools LE 6.4 (which I've had installed since I bought my mbox 2 years ago) with great success. I run Mac OS 10.3.9. I tried to open a session on my Imac G5 with digi 002r (needed more processing power to bounce to disk) and the session kept quiting unexpectedly at launch, so I uninstalled 6.4 from the startup disc and installed 6.9, which came with the 002 - still no luck. Then I tried everything I could think of - trashing databases, trashing some plugins, trying different firewire ports, launching from session and application... still no luck.

Then I connected mbox to the Imac G5 to see what would happen, and protools started right up. Hmmm? Seems like a digi 002 problem, except it works perfectly with the powerbook. I do have different plugin configs on each machine, but mbox drives the session perfectly... so why not digi 002? Perplexed.

When I first plugged in digi 002 to powerbook, I was prompted to update the firmware from 1.8 to 1.20 (I think)... could this be the problem?

Also, Protools does NOT tell me that the hardware is missing before it quits, and the "1394" light on the digi 002 never goes on to signify the link.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million
j
Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 trouble - \"unexpectedly quits\" at launch

hi

this sounds like the "power harness" issue

do a search on the forum and you will find a myriad of similar posts

basically, you have to ring Digi and they will send you a replacement power harness, and instructions, and you open up the unit and change out the component

it messes with the firewire connection and power to the circuit boards

otherwise, you can try opening up the unit and re-seating the power connections for the 2 circuit boards....that's what I did and it has worked fine

be careful

Tube
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 trouble - \"unexpectedly quits\" at lau

I just got my unit back from Digidesing and that is what they did, replaced the harness. I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM!! My MacBook Pro is brand new and I can't imagine how the firewire port on it would have burnt out already. I have installed and unistalled LE 7.1.1 cs2 numerous times and it still can't locate the hardware when I open Pro Tools. Grr this is very frustrating.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 PM

Do you have any other firewire devices that you could use to check your port ?

I recommend doing everything in the troubleshooting thread on the first page of this forum - especially installing pro tools in a new user account.

Failing that, you probably have a faulty firewire port on you 002 ( this is not related to the harness issue)

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 AM

My firewire ports on my Imac work fine - they recognize my mini DV camera and my external hard-drives - and the 002r ports work too, because the recording system works fine with my powerbook. It's just 002r + Imac = "has unexpectedly quit..."

Digidesign now (after a lengthy tech support session) recommends that I uninstall Avid Express Pro from my Imac, because there are known issues with PT and Avid on the the same startup disc. A real pain, as i have concurrent projects, and buying a new drive for startup to run programs which ostensibly should compliment eachother (and share pluggins) makes little sense. It's the same company... you'd think they'd be compatible. I can't be the only one wanting to run them both on thhe same machine.

It also could be Quicktime Pro 7.1.3 causing my problem... known issues in conjunction with OS 10.3.9 and PT. But I have QT 7 on my powerbook, and no probs.

Also, why would MBOX drive the sessions and not 002r?... USB/PT is OK with Avid, but not Firewire?

HMMM...

I'll uninstall AVID and update this post ASAP.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Also, why would MBOX drive the sessions and not 002r?... USB/PT is OK with Avid, but not Firewire?

HMMM...

I'll uninstall AVID and update this post ASAP.
Thanks
Maybe Avid installs drivers for the Mojo, which conflict with the 002 ?? Just guessing here...
Are there any Avid things in your Startup items ?

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 11-25-2006, 10:07 PM

I uninstalled Avid from the discs, and Pro Tools still quits at launch. i also uninstalled my virus protection software and Quicktime 7, and still no dice. This really sucks, and I can't call back digidesign until I get some more cell phone minutes next month (anticipating another hour + on hold).
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Create a new login, and install Pro Tools into that login.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 PM

Question for Tha K man

I'm now installing Pro Tools on a separate dedicated user account... if it works, can I drop my pluggins from my main account into a drop box and then dump them en masse into my new pro tools account applications folder? Otherwise it's back to the install discs and the serial number search.

Thanks

J
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Question for Tha K man

I'm now installing Pro Tools on a separate dedicated user account... if it works, can I drop my pluggins from my main account into a drop box and then dump them en masse into my new pro tools account applications folder? Otherwise it's back to the install discs and the serial number search.

Thanks

J
I take it Pro Tools is working now ?

You should be ok to drop your plugs into the new plug ins alias folder. If you run into problems, remove them, and add them in one by one to find the culprit.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3