Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Opinions on Source Live Pro for Post mixing

I have a client who has researched the possible options for remote mix approval in real time. He has decided that Source Live Pro is the way to go. I am not convinced this is a good idea (to put it simply).

Anyone have any real world experience with this software? Specifically regarding video and audio streaming in sync, from a very wide mix session on a PT Native system running on the old 2012 12 Core Mac Pros.

I would think there would be a significant CPU drain to encode the video in real time.

Looking for all the Pros and Cons. I have already watched Mike Aiton's comprehensive review on ProToolsExperts. Looking for more specifics regarding CPU load and connectivity issues. Clients are in Puerto Rico and we are in Los Angeles.

Thanks.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Opinions on Source Live Pro for Post mixing

I hope you find it works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
I have a client who has researched the possible options for remote mix approval in real time. He has decided that Source Live Pro is the way to go. I am not convinced this is a good idea (to put it simply).

Anyone have any real world experience with this software? Specifically regarding video and audio streaming in sync, from a very wide mix session on a PT Native system running on the old 2012 12 Core Mac Pros.

I would think there would be a significant CPU drain to encode the video in real time.

Looking for all the Pros and Cons. I have already watched Mike Aiton's comprehensive review on ProToolsExperts. Looking for more specifics regarding CPU load and connectivity issues. Clients are in Puerto Rico and we are in Los Angeles.

Thanks.
Used it for a series I mixed earlier in the year, From Vancouver to LA. Occasional hiccups with the odd drop out but for the most part it was very stable and the client loved it, Running a trash can 3.7 quad and PT Native and had no issues. No problems with CPU load, only issue is the 10 second delay that they use to buffer the video and audio
Imdb
Facebook
Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM

10 second delay? Hmm. That seems a bit difficult to manage, but I understand why it is needed.

How did the communications work with your client? Did they try to stop mix passes or was it used only for playback, and then conversations after watching a reel go by?

Thanks for the input.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 PM

The video chat works great. No delay there, and there is also messaging built in. Yes we just played back a reel, took notes and did fixes. Once we were used to the delay it really wasn't a huge issue
Imdb
Facebook
Old 05-03-2016, 10:20 PM

If you want to be more real time, you can also sync up a remote protools rig running picture using Source Connect Pro, and even 5.1 using Pro X. I've used it many times for 5.1 mixes to LA and it works like a charm. Only issue is the receiving end needs protools and source connect pro.
Imdb
Facebook
Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Thanks Chris. I really appreciate the information.

We use Source Connect in our ADR room and have had mixed results with Transport control working. Other studios using PT 11 makes that not possible. Often we end up resorting to audio only with no transport chasing, or just using Skype for clients not in a studio with Source Connect.

This would be strictly for clients, so no other PT rig on the receiving end.

After much debate, we have decided that this is not something we want to do. Not so much because of the delay or any other feature of Source Live Pro, but because of the can of worms it opens up by mixing in real time, but not being able to control the listening environment on the other end.

As a studio owner with hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in proper mixing rooms, I am not eager to allow this tech into our workflow. It really does eliminate the importance of the mix stage. If all the clients are reviewing remotely, listening in different ways, why bother to mix in a decent stage? Maybe for picture editing but I think there is already tech for that.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 05-04-2016, 04:30 PM

oh I totally agree, but considering I am now dealing with execs who refuse to come to mixes and that do approvals on their laptops, it keeps me in the loop. At least with Source Live I can argue my mix decisions and give them the lecture on being in the room to hear things the right way
Imdb
Facebook