Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-26-2000, 08:01 AM

Default What PCI Video cards do you use???

Question for those running dual monitors in a 9500/9600 chassis.

What video cards have you had success in running without sync and resolution compatability problems?

I am currently running the stock IX Micro Twin turbo card and an ATI Exclaim 3d card
and I am experiencing a slight sync problem where I can't get the IX Micro to run at the same resolution as the ATI.

I get a single horizontally traveling grey band that scrolls up one monitor and then down on the other monitor at the same time.

Any ideas how to resolve? I was going to purchase another ATI Exclaim PCI card as the IX Micro is no longer supported in hopes of getting the sync problem to go away by running identical video cards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elzippo

[tweaked by webadmin to fix rogue bot spellings. BGP]

[This message has been edited by Digidesign (edited November 26, 2000).]
Old 11-26-2000, 08:38 AM

Default Re: What PCI Video cards do you use???

I just use two of the origional factory style IX twin turbo cards, never had a glitch! I found a second one on Ebay for twenty bucks...they show up quite often there...

For what it's worth, I used to use various different cards (I tried various flavors of Radius stuff) for my second monitor and never had any real problems, but the colors and contrast were obnoxiously different and redraws were slower.

[Note: This message has been edited by Digidesign]
Old 11-26-2000, 06:05 PM

Sounds like a synch problem between the cards and the monitors rather than a problem on the cards themselves.
Have you hooked up horizontal or vertical synch?
Checked the pinnage between the connectors
if they are not standard?

Just 2 cents
j
Old 11-26-2000, 08:02 PM

It sounds like you're getting beating between the two monitor frequencies. The way to tell if that's what's happening is simply to move them apart and see if the problem goes away.

If it doesn't, then the solution is just to run them at different sync rates. I used to have to do that.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:01 PM

Hi... I too have the up and down lines and I am running them at different rate..Doesn't help.... and putting a shield between them doesn't effect the problem either. Anybody else got an idea.
Dan
NotableProductions.net
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
It sounds like you're getting beating between the two monitor frequencies. The way to tell if that's what's happening is simply to move them apart and see if the problem goes away.

If it doesn't, then the solution is just to run them at different sync rates. I used to have to do that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NomadicWax.com
Old 11-29-2000, 09:21 PM

I'm running 2 ATI cards (not identical though - just the factory G4 pci card and an Exclaim VR) with Sony 17 monitors. I get a stationary band on both monitors! If I move them apart it goes away, so the problem is some sort of crosstalk between the monitors.

Changing the refresh rate on one card just makes the bands sweep up and down. It's fairly subtle, so I set them both to 85Hz and forget about it...

Jeff D.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:39 PM

If I remember right, I had to experiment with different rates to make the interference go away. Hold down the option key in the Monitors control panel to get at more rates than the recommended ones.