Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-20-2021, 06:38 PM

Default New 24" iMac M1

The new 24" iMac M1 was announced today. I know...I know...the M1 is not Protools certified still. But here are my first thoughts about the product. It seems to have the same M1 chips as those used in the 13" MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac mini. There is still the limitations of the on-socket (non-upgradable) RAM of 8GB or configurable at purchase to 16GB maximum. I couldn't tell if the SDD is soldered in but it probably is (256GB or 512GB standard but can be configured up to 2 TB). There are two Thunderbolt 3/USB-4 ports. The higher model (with 8 core GPU instead of 7 core GPU) has 2 additional USB 3.1 ports.

All in all, it is not much more than the previous M1 machines in terms of specs. The one thing I like is the 11.5mm thickness and the choice of colors. The addition of Touch ID on the keyboard is also new.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 PM

Default Re: New 24" iMac M1

What about those colors!?
Yuck!
And they didn't get rid of the "chin". It just lost the Apple logo.
I understand that they found it difficult to fit in the PSU in the slim design, but that eksternal power box will annoy many.

But still, the new imac looks like good value for the money, for many.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 AM

I actually like the new design, but don’t need an all-in-one... and with the addition of 10GbE to the Mac Mini I find it way more interesting to my workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
What about those colors!?
Yuck!
And they didn't get rid of the "chin". It just lost the Apple logo.
I understand that they found it difficult to fit in the PSU in the slim design, but that eksternal power box will annoy many.

But still, the new imac looks like good value for the money, for many.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 AM

The new iMacs looks nice on a desk with the new design and colors (if you like the color choices). There is a VESA mount version available but the mount is on the lower part of the back (not centered). All-in-all, this is a nice addition to the entry level M1 Macs.

As Protools users, I think we all prefer to wait to see what Apple has coming out in their pro-level Macs. Here is what I'm hoping to see:
1) Larger RAM options (32-64 GB would be nice)
2) More Thunderbolt3/USB4 ports (for monitors, storage, audio interfaces)
3) Larger screen (probably in the works already to replace 27" model)

These options are not just for the iMacs but also the MacBook Pros etc.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 04-21-2021, 09:36 PM

As stated in other threads on a system on a chip you will never see user upgradable RAM. A big part of SOC is integrated RAM on the silicon. It’s the new way of doing it.

The M1 Macs are entry level. This is that version of the iMac. In the streaming studio I’ve been working in over the pandemic the entry level Mini in both the 8 and 16 GB configs easily outperforms the like Intel configs and even a 32GB i7 config.

More powerful Macs are due to be released 3rd quarter this year (July-Sept). Reputable leakers indicate 12 compute cores, 16 GPU cores and up to 32GB of RAM. Eventually all Macs will be SOC including high performance pro versions. They are going to have enough power to run the most demanding apps.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
As stated in other threads on a system on a chip you will never see user upgradable RAM. A big part of SOC is integrated RAM on the silicon. It’s the new way of doing it.

The M1 Macs are entry level. This is that version of the iMac. In the streaming studio I’ve been working in over the pandemic the entry level Mini in both the 8 and 16 GB configs easily outperforms the like Intel configs and even a 32GB i7 config.

More powerful Macs are due to be released 3rd quarter this year (July-Sept). Reputable leakers indicate 12 compute cores, 16 GPU cores and up to 32GB of RAM. Eventually all Macs will be SOC including high performance pro versions. They are going to have enough power to run the most demanding apps.
Points well taken. The argument that others have made is that some VI's load the entire sample into RAM. In this use case, it is not about RAM speed or efficiency moving data to and from the processor. There is a need for data capacity to hold and keep those samples in RAM. I'm not too worried as I'm running fine on 16 GB of RAM now as I don't have any of those types of VI's. For others, this may be an important factor. These entry level machines are usable for people like me, but I like to have some headroom for the future if I can afford it.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 04-22-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
More powerful Macs are due to be released 3rd quarter this year (July-Sept). Reputable leakers indicate 12 compute cores, 16 GPU cores and up to 32GB of RAM.
I've had my 14 core intel i9 with 32GB RAM on my Windows 10 computer since october 2018.

What makes the new high end Macs due later this year so much more powerfull and faster that what I've already got for the last 3 years?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:58 PM

At this time it's all speculations and rumors so no one can answer this question... but if M1 is any indication, high-end Apple Silicon will have a similar super-optimized SoC architecture that will blow away the current generation of Intel Macs.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
What makes the new high end Macs due later this year so much more powerfull and faster
When same silicon has CPU, GPU, and RAM, there is no extra caching needed