Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-04-2020, 10:29 PM

Default HELP! the BEST midi controller keyboard?????

Hello all. I am having trouble finding a midi controller keyboard that will integrate well with Pro Tools Ultimate. I want transport functionality and at least be able to scroll through and tweak basic settings on virtual instruments. I tend to use the Native Instruments stuff a lot so integration with Komplete KONTROL would be a real plus. I would like for it to be 88 keys since I tend to use key-switches a lot. My computer is a new iMac.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Re: HELP! the BEST midi controller keyboard?????

Finding all in a single package might be tough. How far will the controller be from the iMac? If its fairly close by, why not couple the Komplete Kontrol 88 and stick a Presonus Faderport on top for transport control? (the original FP can usually be had for under $100 and the NI controller is going to offer the best interface with NI plugins). BTW, I have had success with USB extentions up to 50' for other midi stuff so the odds are in your favor if you need more than the typical USB cable for length.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Default Re: HELP! the BEST midi controller keyboard?????

Thanks for the advice. I really would like a keyboard that can access the advanced transport function style. I like the NI stuff but I think this is the winner for me so far.....

https://www.arturia.com/products/hyb...-mkii/overview

I’m not sure why the 88 key is so much more expensive than the 61 but it gets great reviews and it looks like it’s a good solid piece of equipment.