Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Best iLok instructions?

I know the search function is my friend but iLok's recent troubles coinciding with the release of PT 11 means emotional iLok stuff was shotgunned all over the internet, so ...

Can anyone point me to where I can find some some trustworthy advice on migrating from PT 10 to 11 on an existing mechanical hard drive or installing from scratch on a new SSD I'm considering? I've not been able to use PT as much as I wanted to, so I'm still new to the iLok world, which I understand is a new world itself after recent "upgrade." I finally have time to get going.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Best iLok instructions?

Maybe I'm alone in this one, but I just last night:
(1) Uninstalled 10.3.1 so I could:
(2) Install 10.3.6 which allows me to:
(3) Install 11.0.1 ALONGSIDE 10.3.6
(4) Install Wavearts 64-bit AAX Powersuite
I-lok MUST have ironed out their glitches, because (at least for me) everything went just fine, and I'm off and running with 10 and 11 both on the same machine. Zero hassles. Just be aware that you have to have the 2nd generation I-lok. And wait for the rest of your favorite RTAS and 32-bit AAX plugs to get ported to 64-bit AAX. (C'mon Universal Audio!!)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 AM

I had an issue about 2 weeks ago regarding moving some old licenses on a completely full iLok (unable to move anything), but they had it resolved on their end after 2 days. Something about how their server was handling the transfer. Smooth sailing after that. I think it's probably safe now.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Yes, I would say it is quite safe to do the move. iLok has trated us right from day one we used the first iLok 1 we got with PT9HD and after reading about lots of success stories here on the forum I would not be worried if you follow the exact directions outlined by Pace/iLok.

Just take it slow, Do what is recommended and you should be fine

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM

So, the directions for a proper PT11 [and the v10.x that installs too] are on the Pace site? Or are those just general directions for any DAW software?

The dual PT install is what strikes fear in the hearts of men unfamiliar to iLoks!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
So, the directions for a proper PT11 [and the v10.x that installs too] are on the Pace site? Or are those just general directions for any DAW software?

The dual PT install is what strikes fear in the hearts of men unfamiliar to iLoks!
These instructions are not on the Pace site but I compressed the process for you below :

Not to worry there

When registering PT11 you will recieve a PT10/11 bundle and just put them on the SAME ILOK2 and not try to split them up to a iLok1 and an iLok2.

Then download PT11 version 11.0.1 and PT10 version 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 (needs to be any of these two and nothing else) and you should not have any problems with that. There are thousands of users who have this working great and we are one of these users so just download these installers aswell as the separate AIR instrument/Plugin Installer for PT11 and it should be available in the Avid Account and when launching PT11 do NOT click "move unused plugins to unused folder" as they share plugin folder with the PT10 installation and then those plugins won't work in 10 if you tell PT11 tommove them to unused folder.

We installed PT10HD first and then PT11HD and Inhave not seen anything that states otherwise.

Post back if you have any questions or issues but follow these instructions and you should be good to go

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks I will go boldly where the thousands of user who've gone before have gone ... that is, as soon as I figure out whether to substitute an SSD OS drive for a mechanical drive on a system that's running perfectly and is not slow. Hmm.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will go boldly where the thousands of user who've gone before have gone ... that is, as soon as I figure out whether to substitute an SSD OS drive for a mechanical drive on a system that's running perfectly and is not slow. Hmm.
You could actually use the SSD drive for both installations for the time beeing as PT10 and PT11 needs to be on the same system drive. You will need another drive later on for recording to but not for the installation but Im sure you knew that already.

Best Wishes
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
You could actually use the SSD drive for both installations for the time beeing as PT10 and PT11 needs to be on the same system drive. You will need another drive later on for recording to but not for the installation but Im sure you knew that already.

Best Wishes
Chris
I know. I've got 4 drives, so no problems. I guess I'm hijacking my own thread but are you love in with your SSD? Is life so much better with one you'd leave a well behaved and faithful hard drive behind?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I know. I've got 4 drives, so no problems. I guess I'm hijacking my own thread but are you love in with your SSD? Is life so much better with one you'd leave a well behaved and faithful hard drive behind?
LOLL

You could say that and now since PT11HD came out we swapped out Every single drive both on the 2 Mac Pros and our New MBPretina so we only have SSD's on all our machines now. Both system drives and recording drives aswell as the sample drives and it is soo much faster and better we would Never go back to spinners even if got paid for it

We only have the Samsung SSD 840 Pro drives except for the one SSD in the retina and that was upgraded at purchase to a Intel 512 GB SSD.

If you still wanna use spinners the one that keeps coming up is the WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm but we have never used one ourselves. If this question is geared towards trying out PT10/11 on the same machine and you use a drive for system programs that works great and is 7200 rpm and NOT a "green" drive I would start with that and upgrade your recording drives when you have everything working 100%. As the better SSD drives are a bit pricey I would stick with what I have and try out this new installation and buy one really good SSD for recording when I felt it necessary.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————