Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-11-2021, 08:29 PM

Default drop box and the destructive punch

I have dropbox - started working my sessions in the Drop box folder..

its great thats it backing up as I work for example

One thing I noticed tho - is when I destructively punch in - the sync to dropbox is super fast. ( im working on files that are like 90 mins long and 5.1

Is drop box just updating the punched in sections?

seems to update really quickly! This might be super handy. but how reliable?

I'm thinking about changing my disk allocation to record the mix files ( yes I'm old school like to go thru the 'desk' monitoring rather than bounces )

just curious - cos thinking about it - with the turnarounds I have , I tend to need to use loudness control to achieve complianece with r128 for example.

suppose I could test this - by uploading the online version, but hey someone else might want to compare results :).
Old 10-11-2021, 08:58 PM

Default Re: drop box and the destructive punch

Just a stab in the dark and I don’t have any technical data to back this up but it’s all just 1’s and 0’s.

If your destructive punching your stems to files in the local Dropbox folder on your system, theoretically, you’re just updating that file for the particular punch. Everything else stays the same and has already been uploaded to the Dropbox cloud from the last time.

Think of it as updating a word document or spreadsheet in the same folder. Only the information changing needs to be updated across the cloud.

Again, this is merely my theory on why this works as you’re describing.

If you’re concerned about it being accurate, download the uploaded file and compare it to the local file. Chances are it’s a match.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:58 AM

Yup,
It'll be doing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_encoding. Utilities like rsync do this very efficiently and cleverly to allow resyncing of even large files over slow connections.

Pete
Old 10-16-2021, 02:18 AM

handy.

I guess it means that files can be uploaded and ready much more rapidly altho the danger perhaps is them 'grabbing' the files before sync has been achieved potentially if given unfettered access.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM

I've seen Dropbox do this. Pretty impressive. I haven't seen a way to do the same thing with Signiant, though.