Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 AM

Default Wait to download?

Hi Guys,

I've just got myself an Eleven Rack.
This, as everybody knows, comes with an ilok and a Pro Tools Activation Code.
So far, so good.
I'm also using a Macbook running Mavericks. To which I upgraded before getting the Eleven Rack and starting to Research Compatibility. Also, The ER was a bit of an impulse buy.
So, as PT does not currently run on Mavericks, my question is:
Which version of PT do I get, when I download? It doesn't say anywhere on the package, or the documentation.
Does it make sense, to wait until the compatibility issues have been resolved, as I will then get the most up to date version?
At the moment, I'm still using Logic to tecord my stuff, so waiting wouldn't be a problem for me anyway.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Wait to download?

Since you just got your stuff the iLok license asset you get when you register PT (PT and the 11R are two separate registrations) will have a combined license for PT 10 and PT 11. You download each one separately from your Avid account. When you do you'll get the latest version which in this case will be PT 10.3.7 and PT 11.0.2. Those are each separate installs. And don't forget to download and install the Avid instruments. The reason for a co-install is that not all plugins are aax64 bit compatible which is what you need for PT 11. And just so you know (in case you don't) PT 10 is the last version to use the old RTAS plugin format; it is also the first version to use the aax 32 bit plugin format. aax 32 and aax 64 are not the same things.

People are having varying amounts of success using any version of PT in Mavericks so it's a roll of the dice how well you'll do.

Oh yeah - don't forget to download and install the 11R drivers.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 AM

Thanks Musicman

Okay, seems like I have a little more research coming up, concerning versions and plugins.
If I understand you correctly, I'll be getting the latest versions, so I'll hold off for a while, as I understand Avid are working on Mavericks compatibility.

Sigh, I thought I was done looking into DAWs.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Thanks Musicman

Okay, seems like I have a little more research coming up, concerning versions and plugins.
If I understand you correctly, I'll be getting the latest versions, so I'll hold off for a while, as I understand Avid are working on Mavericks compatibility.

Sigh, I thought I was done looking into DAWs.
No need to hold off downloading PT; what we have now may work - you never know. As long as you're not depending on doing any for-profit work then I'd say have at it. You can always uninstall any version and install a new one.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 AM

According to the sticky up top, PT 10.3.7's uninstaller does not work, and this is the version I was going for, because of the onscreen editor for the 11R.
But you're right, I think I'll try PT 11 and see how that works out.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM

As far as I know the only real issue is the uninstaller not working with Mavericks. I don't know if Avid are planning a upgrade 10.3.7. I'm hoping they do. I know that there's a update of PT11 in the pipe and I'm hoping it will bring Mavericks support. But there's been no official word on that.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info.
I guess I'll install 10 and 11 then, and if anything goes wrong I'll pull a previous system off my time capsule.
I think there's also an issue with the 11R driver and Mavericks, but I'll try it anyway.