How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Pro Tools and Orchestral Sample Librarys

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am thinking of purchasing an orchestral sample library to run with Pro Tools 10.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience running East West QLSO Platinum Plus specifically whether the Play platform integrates smoothly with PT10.

The other library I am considering is the VSL Special Edition, I am fairly sure this will run well but I have a nagging feeling that QLSO will suit my needs better if it plays nicely.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Many thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Orchestral Sample Librarys

hello dr spaceman, I have been using EWQLSO for a few years now and I have to say there's a bit of good and bad. I've found the sound quality to be astounding, and the performance to be hit and miss.

there were a few sessions that I had running with ten or so instances of the plug with multiple sounds being triggered simultaneously by most of them.

there was the occasional stutter, but mostly it worked for me well, and if the system got too bogged down I would bounce a few to audio tracks to lighten the load and there weren't any problems.

then I had a few sessions where I had about three or four instances running and there would be huge amounts of lag and sometimes full out crashes. there were also times when I was processing something in the background and tried to change the sound the Play engine was using at the same time and that caused a crash.

overall, I would still recommend it, as these problems are fairly easy to work around, but you will sometimes have sessions where the plug doesn't want to cooperate with you. just remember that it's moving a huge amount of data, and it's not likely to be as quick to respond as an EQ3 plug.

for reference, my system is a Mac Pro 2.93 Quad Core with 16 GB Ram, and the EWQLSO library was installed on it's own drive.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Orchestral Sample Librarys

Regardless of which sample library you get, get VE pro, or a similar external program to host your VI's outside of pro tools. Until we see a 64 bit pro tools, this is pretty much a requirement for any kind of serious orchestral midi programming.

I think the Eastwest PLAY engine does have a memory server that will allow it to load more than 4GB of samples, but it's not as efficient as hosting it in a separate 64 bit program.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?