Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Default PT8 Renaming Audio Files in Browser?

Just noticed this....

Running PT8 HD Accel on PPC g5 Dual 2.0Gig MacOS 10.5.5

When I drag an audio file from the Workspace into a session (specifically the regions bin) IF the audio filename has a number in the middle of it, all letters in the filename PRECEEDING the number are truncated in the audio region name that Pro-Tools shows, as well as in the regions bin name etc etc.

It does NOT seem to rename the audio file itself, but it is making it very difficult to locate files in a crowded bin when they no longer have the names I originally assigned to them.

Is this a feature? a bug? a preference somewhere that I need to change?

All I know is that it is annoying, is there a fix?

Thanks in advance,

dabbler
Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Re: PT8 Renaming Audio Files in Browser?

to follow up....

it seems that this truncation thing was only happening with the audio files I had stored in one specific folder in my music library (so far). I'm still not sure why. But I'm also noticing some other re-naming anomalies that I can't explain. When I import audio from another folder in the same library, the filenames get replaced with Audio File and the track number which originally appeared in the filname I gave it. For instance, Drumloop 5 becomes Audio File 5...but again only in the Session...the original file is not renamed.

I've been racking my brain for what could be causing it. I've trashed prefs and such just to be sure. But it doesn't seem to have any pattern to the problem. It isn't a length of filename issue. It's not just files with numbers in the middle as I'd originally thought. The various anomalies happen to ALL audio files in any given folder, but not in every folder (so far I'm testing one hard drive specifically) on the drive.

Also of note is that these phenomena only happen when I'm dragging audio in from the Workspace. If I do a standard Import Audio the filename in the session is the same as the filename I gave it on the hard drive.

Thoughts? Anyone having any similar issues?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 AM

Hi Dabbler,
we have kind of the same problem. One of our client is working on a PT8 HD for movie sound editing and every sound that he renamed comes with the ancient name when imported via Workspace. For example, he renamed some embedded file recorded by an Aaton Cantar after importing it in a previous version of PT (7.4). Now he wants to use this file again in the PT8 but when he drags it via Workspace he doesn't find the new name and show the ancient name. He tells me that this was not happening in PT 7.4, so is it a bug or os there an option somewhere? This is working when dragging the file from the finder and when importing it from the import audio file browser. Can someone help us? Thank you very much!

www.studio-equipe.com
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Avid

Could we possibly get samples of the audio files you're seeing this happen with?

If so, please use a file hosting service like YouSendIt or Whalemail and send the link to: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com.

Make sure to put the thread number [237312] in the subject of your message.