Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Rude Awakening on PT Annual Renewal Cost

Like a lot of folks I'm sure, 2 years ago I took advantage of the $99 special cross grade for PT to go the annual subscription route. And like I'm sure many of those who did the same, totally forgot that the $99 annual fee was only for the first 2 years. So, when renewal came up yesterday, I get a call from bank's fraud department wanting to know if I authorized a $319 transaction. When I found out it was Avid, I told them, yes, I do buy things from Avid, but no I hadn't spent $319 plus with them yesterday. So, I contacted Avid customer service via chat and someone named Pinky reminded me that my 2 year special deal was over and the renewal was now $299 plus tax and will be going forward.

HOwever, it also includes the complete Avid plugin bundle, which I had renewed separately back in August, so they refunded that.

I'm sure the 2 year deal was explained in the fine print at the time of the crossgrade...but I wish someone had reminded me like 2 or 3 months ago. Not accusing or blaming anyone here but myself for not paying closer attention.

Anyway, end of story. All renewed and up to date, too. For anyone else coming up on year 3...be prepared for a much bigger charge!

Old 10-24-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Rude Awakening on PT Annual Renewal Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Like a lot of folks I'm sure, 2 years ago I took advantage of the $99 special cross grade for PT to go the annual subscription route. And like I'm sure many of those who did the same, totally forgot that the $99 annual fee was only for the first 2 years. So, when renewal came up yesterday, I get a call from bank's fraud department wanting to know if I authorized a $319 transaction. When I found out it was Avid, I told them, yes, I do buy things from Avid, but no I hadn't spent $319 plus with them yesterday. So, I contacted Avid customer service via chat and someone named Pinky reminded me that my 2 year special deal was over and the renewal was now $299 plus tax and will be going forward.
HOwever, it also includes the complete Avid plugin bundle, which I had renewed separately back in August, so they refunded that.

I'm sure the 2 year deal was explained in the fine print at the time of the crossgrade...but I wish someone had reminded me like 2 or 3 months ago. Not accusing or blaming anyone here but myself for not paying closer attention.

Anyway, end of story. All renewed and up to date, too. For anyone else coming up on year 3...be prepared for a much bigger charge!
Hum easy to understand why one might forget after 3 years. BUT I think the big takeaway would/or perhaps should be (is for me anyway) is ,,, do not have Avid automatically renew your Subscription. Now I understand the convenience I have my monthly NetFlix and Hulu set up that way. But for me given that the expiration date is in the My products > PT page of my account . I much prefer to be the one to be charging my bank account ...just a thought

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-25-2021, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
.... I much prefer to be the one to be charging my bank account ...just a thought
I have to agree with that. The fact that my Sweetwater guy calls to remind me of expirations is really cool too. But I have to pull the trigger, so that's what I like.

He just reminded me that my Sibelius Ultimate yearly tax was due. No change in that one so far though, still $99 plus the governor's fee (state tax), and the local county board of stupidvisors fee (lost).

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 10-25-2021, 05:51 AM

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I take some kind of special offer, I put a reminder to my calendar one month prior to expiration. That gives me enough time to think about my options.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I take some kind of special offer, I put a reminder to my calendar one month prior to expiration. That gives me enough time to think about my options.

I do the EXACT same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2021, 06:22 AM

DonaldM, how can you be coming up on year three when the subscription offer was only a few months ago? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
DonaldM, how can you be coming up on year three when the subscription offer was only a few months ago? Maybe I'm missing something.
There was similar offer earlier. This new offer is for the ones who did not take the old offer. But once your perpetual license is gone, it is gone.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There was similar offer earlier. This new offer is for the ones who did not take the old offer. But once your perpetual license is gone, it is gone.
Of course the other thing is it's often hard to tell if someone using the word "subscription" actually means (in Pro Tools parlance) the Yearly Subscription Plan (no perpetual) or is simply calling the Annual Perpetual Support/Upgrade Plan renewal fee,,, as a "subscription" which is the case as often as not ....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-25-2021, 07:02 AM

Yes, I admit it is confusling. Subscription and Plan are also spelled so closely it is hard to make a difference.

Anyway, there was a similar offer few years ago and those who already gave up their perpetual license and have run out of the discount years of subscription are now facing the normal prices. Same goes to the ones who trade their perpetual license now, in two years same thing again.

Somehow it always comes as a surprise, in two years you have forgotten that your price was a special price.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:15 AM

I know several pro studios that simply freeze their OS/ProTools/plug versions (especially on MAC) to avoid incompatibilities & endless HW/SW upgrade cycles. At some point, though, ya gotta draw a line in the sand...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume