Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2002, 05:15 AM

Default MOTU Digital Performer- I really like it!

Hi Folks!

Today I was at my local music emporium and tried out Digital Performer for the 1st time.

I must say that being impressed is an understatement!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

To me this program (from version 3.0 onwards) looks like 'the best of' all the other main sequencers out there!!!!

It's way of working with audio looks much like protools (which I like!) and it's midi side is exactly like the midi side of Protools SHOULD be!!!! As a matter of fact it looks more logical to get around then both Logic and Cubase which I have used.

Plus I really like the standard plug ins that come with the package and their is alot that just ships out of the box without requiring you get extra 3rd party plugs, particularly that nice plate reverb and the masterworks processors.

I am now seriously considering switching from the way i am working (using Logic Gold for midi and ProtoolsLE for audio) and going the DP route!!!! Heck I'll be able to do what takes 2 programs to perform satisfactorally on 1 program:).

Any other happy DP3 users out there who may have switched platforms like Im considering doing?????? Of course Im still gonna use my 001 hardware as Im very happy with that plus the rest of my set up.

On another note, the price fot the 002 in Australia is gonna be about $5,500AUD!!!!! This is very expensive IMHO and I can see digi being forced to lower the price of this system!!!!!

Heck I can go buy a MOTU 896 and CM Motormix and have more flexibility for less money. Even the guys in the music shop agreed on this point!!!!

Anyway I just had to express my feelings about Digital Performer 3.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Re: MOTU Digital Performer- I really like it!

Yeah, but it's Digital Performer. I've tried it and it has a few little configuration quirks that annoyed me. It's a great program, especially the included plugins, but it's no Pro Tools! However, with a Dual Processor 1 ghz Mac, you get MUCHO power! (I have this configuration) That's one BIG bummer about Pro Tools. No dual processor support.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:53 AM

Comparing the two software programs... PTLE wins for me. For instance, DP3 does not allow you to make edits across grouped tracks. Setting punch in and out points is very tedious compared to PTLE. DP has more windows, and is not as elegant as PTLE in general.

Of course, depending on your needs you may find one program or the other to be better. For me it's PTLE!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:49 AM

I've just bought digital performer....wow what a program. At first I was going to go for the digi 001 but I have an 800hz powerbook and didn't fancy spending 1000+ on a magma chasis for 32 tracks. I had to look elsewhere and although i had never heard DP I was introduced to it through Sound on Sound. I read the performer notes column and decided to take the plunge. I'm still learning but I have to say it is fantastic.

If the digi 001 was firewire I admit I would have bought it but for me the Motu 828 and DP3 combination was too much to pass by.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:16 AM

Welcome to the fun!
One you get past the small quirks or DP3, its a great world. Remember DP3 is MOTU's main software. It's not an LE version, so you dont have to worry about being last in line.

schuey100 - have fun with the powerbook. I can get tons of tracks on my lowley ibook 700. That thing should fly.

Slovenec - This is a great topic. Its not slamming DIGI, just pointing out where other software is going better/worse. As much as MOTU posts get screamed at here, im sure DIGI wants to hear what people think so they can improve from there. Remember, these boards are mostly for market research.

MANOWAR!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:20 AM

Hi guys, i have DP3 with a Dual Ghz Mac and it absolutely screams, it's set up very nicely and really is a pleasure to work with! i have considered going portable though so ... Schuey100, do you know what sort of performance i have to sacrifice to go with a TiBook 800 compared to a Dual Ghz, or even simply let me know what performance you see with your machine without the comparison.. BTW.. Slovenec are you interested in buying a Dual Ghz in Aust if i decide to go mobile ?
Old 08-08-2002, 10:51 AM

Hey guys,
I have DP and a TiBook 800 and the Mbox. What a combo. I agree that to me DP is more logical than Pro Tools. It is as someone else mentioned MOTU's flagship product so more resources go into it than do PTLE. It is also a much more open system. You can use just about any A/D, D/A, MIDI, or you can go with theirs. It even works well with DIGI hardware. I get 64+ tracks with 24 plugs and at least 16 aux tracks on a stock TiBook 800 with 512 MB RAM and an external 60 GB firewire drive. The sound is also incredible. Never ran into the audio quirks that others have mentioned, maybe they don't come up in the way I work, but it is a much better way to create a song than PTLE...I was going to get an HD system and I sat down with a DIGI rep for an hour as he showed me a PT system. I asked one simple question. How easy is it to setup an 8 bar loop so I can create a chorus. He began to do this and that and in 5 minutes he wasn't done yet...It was absolutely backwards. In DP, you have the option to work with "chunks" and make a song in a very modular way. A chunk for each section of the song, then in a timeline, arrange the chunks in any way you want. Ever do a song and then say, naw the breakdown should come after 2 chorus's not just one. In DP, that is a 5 second adjustment...In PT...5 minutes of copying, pasting, etc...Try doing that with a client, then after all the copying they say, no I liked it better the other way...In DP the arrangement is much more flkexible. I can literally drag and drop as the song is being built. Glad to see you guys liking DP, have fun with it....
Old 08-08-2002, 11:15 AM

Isn't there a problem using the 001 or Mbox hardware with DP? I thought I read about some severe latenency issues when using Digidesign hardware with DP.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:29 AM

Not that I have seen. That's what im doing and its fine.
Although, i do have 2 896's for mobile hooked to my ibook, so the Digi001 is on its last legs. I cant use a UAD -1 card in DP3 with the digiPCI card in there, so i might just use the 896's for both. I like having the option for PTLE, but honestly havent used it in months.

By the way, when i did have to use PTLE a couple months ago, i was kinda lost. Couldnt remember why i though it was so much easier.

MANOWAR!
Old 08-08-2002, 02:19 PM

Did they build in the ability to view the midid data as regions in the new edit window?