Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 PM

Default Multiple Tracks To 1 Track

My firs post question. We'll see how this goes.
If I have 6 vocal tracks and I want to put 3 of them to one track and 3 to another so I can pan them left and right... how do I do that?
I have the latest Pro Tool as of Jan '21.
Thanks to one and all who can help.
P.S. I hope this was the correct place to post this.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Multiple Tracks To 1 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindon View Post
My firs post question. We'll see how this goes.
If I have 6 vocal tracks and I want to put 3 of them to one track and 3 to another so I can pan them left and right... how do I do that?
I have the latest Pro Tool as of Jan '21.
Thanks to one and all who can help.
P.S. I hope this was the correct place to post this.
Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I think what you're going to want is a stereo bus (this would give you most control).

Go to your I/O setup window, go to the bus tab, create a new stereo bus (call it whatever you like, I'll use "Vox Bus" for this), press ok.

Then, go to the I/O of your 6 vocal tracks. You can view this on the edit window but most commonly on the mix window. Change the output routing of all of the 6 vocal tracks to "Vox Bus". You can do this quickly but selecting all the tracks, then holding down shift+option while you change the output of any of the 6 tracks.

Create a new stereo aux track. Set its input to "Vox Bus", set its output to whatever your vocal tracks used to be.

Each of the 6 vocal tracks should have an independent panner. You can pan whichever 3 to one side and the other 3 to the other side (or anywhere in between that sounds cool).

Hope that helps! Have fun!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 09-23-2021, 12:52 AM

Here's a simpler way to achieve the same thing:

(BTW, IMO the best name for this kind of thing is a 'submix'. A 'bus' is what we call the connection between a source and a destination in the PT mixer.)

Make shure I/O is showing on your tracks in mix window or edit window. Select the three tracks (so that their names are highlighted on the mixer and in the track list). While holding shift-opt, in the output selector on one of the tracks, select "New track…", set 'Format' to mono, set 'Type' to Aux, give it a name 'Vox Left' f.ex.

A new Aux track is created and the selected tracks will instantly be routed to it. (Holding option when you click on the output selector would have made this happen to all tracks, shift-opt means 'apply to selected tracks'. Same goes for many other operations in PT.)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:33 AM

I have even simpler solution for you. Select three vox tracks and group them, select another three vox tracks and group them too. Now the grouped three should have same pan setting, as in turn one pan knob and it will turn the others in the same group as well.

BUT, when you create the group, panning is not enabled by default (for obvious reasons), so you need to go to the group attributes tab to set it on. (another default would be to follow globals, so if you have that ticked you need to either enable it in globals, or disable the follow globals default option).
Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 AM

All good suggestions already, but, is there a reason to not simply set the PAN controls as you want and be done with it? This is the simplest route, and is what I usually do. Once panning is set and relative balance is set, I also tend to make a group of all BGV's(or assign them to a Routing Folder Track). Advantage of simple panning: its as simple as it gets. Advantage of Grouping: you can make things happen to all(in the group) with single commands. Advantage of a routing folder: you can process everything in that folder(like a master EQ for all BGV's). Lots of possibilities

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-23-2021, 08:28 AM

^^ what he said.

I am so oldskool I tend to think the analog console way. So I take my vox tracks, route them to a buss, process them on a buss, and the buss feeds the master.

If you want to do something else, the possibilities are limitless.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:27 PM

Thank you one and all for responding to my first ever question.
It is deeply appreciated. I have taken the input of everyone and have achieved the results that I was looking for.
Thank you again.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I think what you're going to want is a stereo bus (this would give you most control).

Go to your I/O setup window, go to the bus tab, create a new stereo bus (call it whatever you like, I'll use "Vox Bus" for this), press ok.

Then, go to the I/O of your 6 vocal tracks. You can view this on the edit window but most commonly on the mix window. Change the output routing of all of the 6 vocal tracks to "Vox Bus". You can do this quickly but selecting all the tracks, then holding down shift+option while you change the output of any of the 6 tracks.

Create a new stereo aux track. Set its input to "Vox Bus", set its output to whatever your vocal tracks used to be.

Each of the 6 vocal tracks should have an independent panner. You can pan whichever 3 to one side and the other 3 to the other side (or anywhere in between that sounds cool).

Hope that helps! Have fun!
Hello Ryan,

Nicely explained the things to keep multiple tracks in a single track.
Thanks for your suggestion on this topic.