How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-23-2021, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Ok thank you. Is there any advantage to using to DB25 input as opposed to TRS on the combi Jack for connecting an external mic pre etc ??

Thanks !
Neater cabling. The ability to leave your mics plugged into the back of the Carbon at the same time.
Line input specs are the same for TRS and DB25, as per the manual.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Ok thank you. Is there any advantage to using to DB25 input as opposed to TRS on the combi Jack for connecting an external mic pre etc ??

Thanks !
As Dominic noted there is no sound quality difference ...
And as noted logistically a DB 25 puts all the cabling into one outer sleeve .

But since you asking about an outboard mic pre :::
Consider that while the DB 25 does allow an additional 8 channels of analog connections ,,,,,, It does not add any additional channels of simultaneous use , that is still going to be 8 at any one time...
So if you are looking to run an additional mic pre to get more than 8 channels of simultaneous mic input, you would want to do through the ADAT connections.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-23-2021, 11:17 PM

Thanks guys for the helpful replies.

I am not seeing the “free” plugins in my session plugin folder when I’m in PT.
Can anyone steer me in the direction to download the included “premium” and dsp plugs that come with carbon? Also autotune…
Thanks so much.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
As Dominic noted there is no sound quality difference ...
And as noted logistically a DB 25 puts all the cabling into one outer sleeve .

But since you asking about an outboard mic pre :::
Consider that while the DB 25 does allow an additional 8 channels of analog connections ,,,,,, It does not add any additional channels of simultaneous use , that is still going to be 8 at any one time...
So if you are looking to run an additional mic pre to get more than 8 channels of simultaneous mic input, you would want to do through the ADAT connections.

So one can have only 8 channels of the analog inputs recording at a time? If so can the 8 channels be of mix use (the Mic pres and DB25)?

So at 48k I can use 8 analog ins and 16 ADAT ins correct? I only ask cause I thought you could record with all 16 analog ins and as well the 16 ADAT ins.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
So one can have only 8 channels of the analog inputs recording at a time? If so can the 8 channels be of mix use (the Mic pres and DB25)?

So at 48k I can use 8 analog ins and 16 ADAT ins correct? I only ask cause I thought you could record with all 16 analog ins and as well the 16 ADAT ins.

8 on the Carbon and 16 via ADAT is correct. I have a MOTU 16A hooked up to my Carbon via ADAT and it gives me the 16 channels I need (in 44.1 or 48) to create inserts for all my outboard gear.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the helpful replies.

I am not seeing the “free” plugins in my session plugin folder when I’m in PT.
Can anyone steer me in the direction to download the included “premium” and dsp plugs that come with carbon? Also autotune…
Thanks so much.
Look in your avid master account and check ”products not downloaded yet” and they should be there once you redeemed your code on the same paper that you have your carbon serial nr to register the carbon which you need to do aswell to get the goodies :)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-29-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Look in your avid master account and check ”products not downloaded yet” and they should be there once you redeemed your code on the same paper that you have your carbon serial nr to register the carbon which you need to do aswell to get the goodies :)
Ok got it. I’ve installed the goodies (auto tune, Arturia 140, mcdsp, etc..) …
Regarding PT Ultimate (despite all the coverage, I’m still confused)
The license included for pro tools ultimate is perpetual… which means I can upgrade and use it forever ?
Or just a year? Or just a year then need to pay for subscription to upgrade the software???
I’m confused …

Thanks for the help!

Also I could not fine avid plugs like Reverb One or Eleven … where are those downloads ?
Old 09-29-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Correct ,,, on the Carbon unit itself, you can only use 8 simultaneous analog inputs ... Yes you can have some of those in's, be via the Carbon mic pre's and some via the DB 25, ....For example I have mine set up 4 and 4..... I use 4 channels for the Carbon mic pre's (for up to 4 mic's ),,,,, and I have 4 channels via the DB 25 ,,,, 2- DB 25 channels for my two channel Hardware Compressor,,,, and 2 - DB 25 channels for my two channel Hardware Reverb,,,, all which I can have recording at the same time......

Quote:
So at 48k I can use 8 analog ins and 16 ADAT ins correct?
Yes, you can use the 8 Analog ins on the Carbon and an additional 16 Digital in's via ADAT @ 48 k. all simultaneously at the same time for a total of 24 in's ................

Quote:
I only ask cause I thought you could record with all 16 analog ins and as well the 16 ADAT ins.
........ No , again while there are 16 analog in connections available (8 physical mic/line combo inputs, and 8 via the DB 25) BUT there are only 8 A/D converters in the Carbon,, so only 8 channels of simultaneous analog input at any one time on the Carbon unit itself ,,,,, from the 16 available connections .......

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-29-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Ok got it. I’ve installed the goodies (auto tune, Arturia 140, mcdsp, etc..) …
Regarding PT Ultimate (despite all the coverage, I’m still confused)
The license included for pro tools ultimate is perpetual… which means I can upgrade and use it forever ?
Or just a year? Or just a year then need to pay for subscription to upgrade the software???
I’m confused …

Thanks for the help!

Also I could not fine avid plugs like Reverb One or Eleven … where are those downloads ?
Bump
Old 09-30-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Bump
So the way I understand it is there are two different Ultimate license deals going on .

#1 is the discounted subscription only option ( accessed through the My Account page > View My Products page > My Special Offers tab .
Which is for any Perpetual PT license holder Regular PT and Ultimate with a current Upgrade/Support plan or Expired Upgrade or Support plan ( although I have not clue why someone with a "current Upgrade/Support would switch it to Subscription only ) and this subscription only offer will not renew your perpetual license

#2 is the now free included PT Ultimate perpetual license for Carbon owners only
(accessed through the My Account page > Products Not Yet Downloaded page )
And since it is a new Current perpetual license with 1 year Update / Support plan it would/should be renewable at the end of the year as an on going annual Update/Support plan......

As far as Reverb One I don't know.... I do show "Eleven Effects Bundle" ( My Products > PT Ultimate > View Software and Download Links & Product Details dropdown > in the second Pro Tools Plugins list

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-30-2021 at 06:45 AM.