How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-19-2021, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
I can assume you use a plugin controller for your M7's (M7 link or M7 Control) for recall purposes?
Actually No (not yet anyway ) Understanding that I am a private user and do not record anyone but myself. I have found the 4 preset buttons handle the most of the basic variations I use for reverb, and is more than sufficient. (which is mostly singer songwriter type productions )
I have the basic parameters and any user adjustments (like pre delay etc.) preset and just change the amount of send depending on the specific instrument or vocal sound I am after an how I want it to sound in the mix ( and of course, the send amount saves and recalls with the session) . And like you, if I want something really noticeable for effect I sometimes just use a reverb or delay plugin directly on the track

For example in this original music video I did recently with the Carbon.
I am using about as much reverb effect on the vocal as I am likely to use (M7 Sunset Chamber preset with pre delay added ) then also automated to bypass in out,,, directly on the vocal track I am using the PT stock Tape echo plugin.

https://youtu.be/PN3WxHxWwCo

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-19-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:47 AM

So has anyone determined whether the ADAT connection provides the low latency DSP (lightning bolt) capability?

Thanks !
Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
So has anyone determined whether the ADAT connection provides the low latency DSP (lightning bolt) capability?

Thanks !
Yes, it does, the 8 ADAT channels work just like the 8 analog inputs.
What you do need to think about is the difference in A/D timings of the converters in the Carbon compared to the converters in whatever ADAT expander you are using.

Dominic
Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Yes, it does, the 8 ADAT channels work just like the 8 analog inputs.
What you do need to think about is the difference in A/D timings of the converters in the Carbon compared to the converters in whatever ADAT expander you are using.

Dominic
Thanks!
But that’s only in the case that I would be recording the same source (drums) through the separate converters and say therefore have timing issues. But if using just one converter at a time would be fine …?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
But that’s only in the case that I would be recording the same source (drums) through the separate converters and say therefore have timing issues. But if using just one converter at a time would be fine …?
There will (probably) be a difference in timing between the analog channels and the ADAT channels, but it will be in the region of less than a couple of milliseconds. It might be substantially less. Whether you can hear it or not depends on whether you can hear it or not! With very short differences, comb filtering is the most likely issue. The problems of bleed and phase alignment when multi-mic'ing a drum kit are much more likely to need attention than slight differences in converter speed.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Ok. But that issue ((comb filtering)) would only occur if crossing over musical duties between the two converters— like a drum set I/o or a duplicated track occurring on each converter simultaneously. If I record everything on a single converter on the way in and mix in the box , then there is no issue..?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:09 PM

Another question,
Is it necessary to use the DB-25 input if I want to bypass the line amp? Or will the TRS combo input also give this option ?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Another question,
Is it necessary to use the DB-25 input if I want to bypass the line amp? Or will the TRS combo input also give this option ?
Line input gain bypass is available for both connectors types.
Berkeley, CA
Old 09-22-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Ok. But that issue ((comb filtering)) would only occur if crossing over musical duties between the two converters— like a drum set I/o or a duplicated track occurring on each converter simultaneously. If I record everything on a single converter on the way in and mix in the box , then there is no issue..?
Yes, comb filtering is basically from using 2 (or more) mics on one source. And you can get it from different mic distances, regardless of converters.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Line input gain bypass is available for both connectors types.
Ok thank you. Is there any advantage to using to DB25 input as opposed to TRS on the combi Jack for connecting an external mic pre etc ??

Thanks !