Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-18-2021, 02:26 AM

Default Carbon- Basic Questions..

Cheers y’all ,
I got a Carbon a few weeks ago and I am loving it…sounds great and the lightning bolt low latency makes it the only way for me (other than HDX) for tracking.

I have a few technical questions:

1. Parallel hardware inserts… if I bus a track out to a compressor (for example) and return that on another audio track,,, must I engage the lightning ⚡️ bolt on both tracks or just the compressor track (record enabled) to obtain phase coherent alignment ???

2. If I were to add say Merging Hapi via ADAT to expand my I/O by 8 in and out …. Would it function the same as Carbon regarding the lightning ⚡️ bold mode and low latency performance?

3. I must use a DB25 input to bypass the line/mic amps in Carbon? What software setting needs to be changed to bypass Carbon amps?

Thanks and appreciate the help!!
Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Cheers y’all ,
I got a Carbon a few weeks ago and I am loving it…sounds great and the lightning bolt low latency makes it the only way for me (other than HDX) for tracking.

I have a few technical questions:

1. Parallel hardware inserts… if I bus a track out to a compressor (for example) and return that on another audio track,,, must I engage the lightning ⚡️ bolt on both tracks or just the compressor track (record enabled) to obtain phase coherent alignment ???

2. If I were to add say Merging Hapi via ADAT to expand my I/O by 8 in and out …. Would it function the same as Carbon regarding the lightning ⚡️ bold mode and low latency performance?

3. I must use a DB25 input to bypass the line/mic amps in Carbon? What software setting needs to be changed to bypass Carbon amps?

Thanks and appreciate the help!!
Here is what I do

#1 ....I run my 2 outboard hardware FX units as Hardware I/O "Inserts" (see my session Mix window below), I do not "Bus out" to them, and when using them parallel, I place them on Aux Input tracks, not audio tracks . And since I send to them from audio tracks that I have put into DSP mode, (and they are associated downstream tracks) they automatically get put into DSP mode

#2 Don't run any ADAT so can't comment from personal experience .... But I am guessing yes .. I know a small studio owner who has Carbon and I think uses ADAT so I will ask him

#3 Yes very easy launch PT > Setup > Hardware > Line I/O tab. (see mine below)
I use 1-4 for microphones thru Carbons pre amps and then 5-8 Bypassed for my two 2 channel Hardware units ,, a Comp and a Reverb . (also note) If you have not done it ? I suggest google "Avid Carbon User Manual" and down load it . It's the best manual Avid has put out..

Here my two hardware units are on Aux Input tracks righthand side labeled M7 (reverb) and 2 Mix (with my Comp on it) which is my entire session 2 Bus

Orange arrow showing sending from my Acoustic Rhythm Guitar -Routing Folder track, to my Reverb track

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-18-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Here is what I do

#1 ....I run my 2 outboard hardware FX units as Hardware I/O "Inserts" (see my session Mix window below), I do not "Bus out" to them, and when using them parallel, I place them on Aux Input tracks, not audio tracks . And since I send to them from audio tracks that I have put into DSP mode, (and they are associated downstream tracks) they automatically get put into DSP mode

#2 Don't run any ADAT so can't comment from personal experience .... But I am guessing yes .. I know a small studio owner who has Carbon and I think uses ADAT so I will ask him

I use 1-4 for microphones thru Carbons pre amps and then 5-8 Bypassed for my two 2 channel Hardware units ,, a Comp and a Reverb . (also note) If you have not done it ? I suggest google "Avid Carbon User Manual" and down load it . It's the best manual Avid has put out..

Here my two hardware units are on Aux Input tracks righthand side labeled M7 (reverb) and 2 Mix which is my session 2 Bus

Orange arrow showing sending from my Acoustic Rhythm Guitar -Routing Folder track, to my Reverb track

I would like to see the pictures but they don't appear. Could you please re-upload the pictures?

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
I would like to see the pictures but they don't appear. Could you please re-upload the pictures?
Humm They are Imgur BBC code images (but they are PNG) and should be showing I wonder if it is your browser I just re did them

see if these url links work

If not here are the Direct links but you will have to open them

https://i.imgur.com/yxo3om8l.png

https://i.imgur.com/rP3y9qIl.png

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-18-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Humm They are Imgur BBC code images (but they are PNG) and should be showing I wonder if it is your browser I just re did them

see if these url links work

If not here are the Direct links but you will have to open them

https://i.imgur.com/yxo3om8l.png

https://i.imgur.com/rP3y9qIl.png

Yes I can see them now. Thank you.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Yes I can see them now. Thank you.
OK to clarify the reposted [img] s in my original are open for you ? OR. the Url ' images are open for you,, or you have to click the direct links

Ha I see you also have M7's also I pretty much do not use plugin reverb any more

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-18-2021, 09:03 AM

I still use plugin reverbs but the M7 is by far better than my plugins. I said that to say this, usually with electronic and hip hop plugin reverbs is all I need. I realize that depending upon the source material (song) that a pretty reverb (M7) is not always required. Instead of a second M7 I wish I had a 480L.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Here is what I do

Here my two hardware units are on Aux Input tracks righthand side labeled M7 (reverb) and 2 Mix (with my Comp on it) which is my entire session 2 Bus

Thanks for the great explanation. Are you putting the tracks assigned to the reverb /comp into DSP mode to keep the hardware insert latency correct ?

Thanks again !
Old 09-18-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Thanks for the great explanation. Are you putting the tracks assigned to the reverb /comp into DSP mode to keep the hardware insert latency correct ?

Thanks again !
Not sure what you mean by "tracks assigned to reverb/comp",,,,

Let me explain a bit further and see if I can clarify better

I have four folder tracks all routed to the 2 Mix track ( which has my Comp on it and is labeled 3 U in the inserts section ) The folder tracks are A Rhy Gtr -- A Ld Gtr --E Ld Gtr and the Vox

Right now only the A Rhy Gtr Folder track is opened up and showing the two mono audio tracks routed to it = A Rhy Gtr L (for Left) and A Rhy Gtr R (for Right)

So

Starting from left side is the Stereo - A Rhy Gtr folder track (acoustic rhythm guitar ) then -- two mono audio tracks -A Rhy Gtr L and A Rhy Gtr R which are routed to the A Rhy Gtr folder track,,, which is routed to the 2 Mix track ---- and I am also sending (labeled M7 in the sends section) from the A Rhy Gtr Folder track to the M7 (reverb track). make sense so far ?

Ok so when I clicked the DSP mode on either one of the A Rhy Gtr- L or R tracks,,, then the A Rhy Gtr folder track, and the 2 Mix track, and the M7 track and the Master Fader track (because the 2 Mix track is routed to it via Stereo Mon. (which is what I label my main 1 &2 outs) they all automatically went into DSP mode ( i.e all of the downstream associated tracks )

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-18-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
OK to clarify the reposted [img] s in my original are open for you ? OR. the Url ' images are open for you,, or you have to click the direct links

Ha I see you also have M7's also I pretty much do not use plugin reverb any more
I can assume you use a plugin controller for your M7's (M7 link or M7 Control) for recall purposes?

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.