Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Weird track color issue with groups

Hello all...

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything pertaining to my issue.

I have the "default track colors" selected to "groups" on the display tab in my preferences. When my groups are active, the track color is fine. When I disable groups (command+g), the display gets funky. The color goes to grey in little areas, on the insert section of the edit window for example, and when I scroll to a different part of the edit window, everything becomes grey.

I understand this, I suspended groups, the color SHOULD go away (even thought it would be cool if the color could stay...)

My problem is that when I reactivate the groups, the color doesn't come back... Until I scroll to a different part of the edit or mix window.

It's not really a problem I guess, but it's just kind of bugging me. Wondering if anyone has ran across this before. Like I said, I did a search, but my search skills might not be up to where they should be...

Protools is stable as hell, I can't remember the last time it did anything weird like locking up or jumpy playback... Anything... It's just the annoying color going away in places, and then not coming back.

Thanks in advance!

System Info:

OS X Version 10.5.8
Processor: 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 2600xt

320 GB system drive
320 GB internal audio drive

Lots of firewire drives, but only one is hooked up at a time, unless an additional drive is needed for high track counts.

ProTools Ver: 8.0.3
HD3 Accel
2 192, built to 24 i/o

All plugins are legal, and supported versions.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Weird track color issue with groups

So no one else has ran across this issue? Lucky bastards...
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1040 View Post
Hello all...

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything pertaining to my issue.

I have the "default track colors" selected to "groups" on the display tab in my preferences. When my groups are active, the track color is fine. When I disable groups (command+g), the display gets funky. The color goes to grey in little areas, on the insert section of the edit window for example, and when I scroll to a different part of the edit window, everything becomes grey.

I understand this, I suspended groups, the color SHOULD go away (even thought it would be cool if the color could stay...)

My problem is that when I reactivate the groups, the color doesn't come back... Until I scroll to a different part of the edit or mix window.
I think I know what you are saying .... this has never been consistent for me. sometimes it does as I think it should and other times not. Have you tried the pref and database "cleanser"?
the keys are CMMD/sHFT/G.. to deactivate ,BTW. ff
Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Yeah yeah yeah... I know it's [shift-cmd-g]... I have this problem where I type too fast... It's great for running PT though... I can fly around and do twice as much as a lot of engineers that I've worked with.

I've tried deleting prefs/databases... Did not help at all. Yes, I did it will all drives attached, so there weren't any old databases...

It's weird that this issue isn't consistent for you... It happens every time. I can reproduce it every time.

Maybe I'll use one of those fancy video screen capture things, and make a video, so that my description might make more sense.

As I said though, I am having no other issues at all with this rig, so it's more of a curiosity thing vs. a complaint... Although it is bugging me, and hope to get the issue solved.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM

I have this problem too in 9.0.2. Seems like for me scrolling doesn't fix the issue. I have to close all the windows and then open them back up to see the right track colors. I've noticed this before in older versions too. Kind of annoying. My computer is a mac pro early 2008 8-core 2.8 running snow leopard if that helps. Stock ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card that came with it. Maybe its system-related?

Scott
Old 05-07-2011, 04:36 PM

I get something similar... and I'm also on a 2008 8 core 3.0.. but I'm still at 9.0.0.

It's so intermittent that I don't worry about it. I just restart PT. Give me a chance to stretch my legs and grab something to drink.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM

I've had this issue since upgrading to PT8. I assumed it was a bug in PT... but I was recently working in a studio, and when I suspended groups on that system, all tracks immediately switched to gray. Upon un-suspending them, colors came back properly. Asking a client about this, he said he didn't have the problem on his home system.

It happens EVERY time I suspend groups.

Quick fixes are to command-control-option-click on any meter twice, which redraws the screen, or to cycle through all open programs (command-tab) and back to PT. Nonetheless, it IS an annoyance, and I am surprised that it has not been acknowledged by Avid. Anyone there listening?