Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Default Avid S1 suddenly disappeared from My Surfaces (EuControl)

Resolved: Avid replaced the S1 unit. Working fine now, so it was some kind of hardware issue.

Hello all, I suspect the unit may be bricked, however if I could lean on your wisdom perhaps I have done something silly.

Been using the Avid S1 flawlessly for a week, however since this morning it simply will not show up in EuControl in the All Surfaces/My Surfaces pane.

Here's a bit of info about my system and network, as well as steps I've taken to troubleshoot.

System:
Mac-Mini M1 16gb
Big Sur 11.6
EuControl 2021.6.1.7
ProTools 2021.3.1 (and have tried 2021.7)

Network Connections:
Mac mini via Ethernet into TP-Link Archer C6 (192.168.2.2)
Avid S1 via Ethernet into TP-Link Archer C6 (192.168.2.3)
Amazon FireHD via Wifi to TP-Link Archer C6 (192.168.2.4)

Network Settings:
TP-Link Archer C6 acts as router. It is the DHCP server. It assigns all connected devices an ip in the 192.168.2.x range, all devices have reserved IP's via their MAC addresses.
Mac-Mini uses the Ethernet port and is assigned an IP by the Router. The network service is enabled and it receives it's IP from the DHCP server perfectly.
The Avid S1 is assigned the correct IP by the DHCP (Holding the Page keys confirms this).
The Amazon FireHD (which runs Avid Control) is assigned an IP as well.

Problem:
Everything working great yesterday, nothing changed, now the Avid S1 won't appear in EuControl. The Amazon FireHD, running Avid Control, does show up.

Things I've tried:
Uninstalling EuControl, trashing prefs (to the best of my knowledge via threads scattered on DUC), re-installing.
Disabling Eucon in ProTools, and Re-enabling
Trashing ProTools prefs (you never know...)
Trying a different version of ProTools
Trying the previous EuControl legacy version.
Changing all ethernet cables.
Trying a different router, set up in the same way.
Booting each piece of hardware in different orders, and after reboots.
Connecting my Avid S1 directly to my Mac mini and Assiging both an IP address one decimal point apart. (Via the Page Keys IP manual IP address method).
Trying a USB to Ethernet adapter from my Mac mini.
Unplugging the Avid S1 power directly and not using the power soft key.
Shutting everything (hardware, router) down, and disconnecting from power for an hour.
Both EuControl and MC_Client are running, and are enabled in Security -> Administration.

Things I've noticed:
The Avid S1 boots up fine, all the way to the AVID logo across OLEDS.
It shows the correct IP as per DHCP reservation table. (Holding Page Keys)
It will even go into OLED screen saving mode.
I can ping the device from MacOS terminal and receive 100% packets. I can ping all devices.
All hardware IPs show in my routers statistics.
I can see my FireHD (running Avid Control) in EuControl, meaning the Mac-Mini is talking to my router, and so is the FireHD. Avid Control on the FireHD works fine in Protools.
Only the Avid S1, which was working yesterday, is no longer showing up today.

So... if anyone has any ideas, hidden prefs, other ideas, I'd love to hear them before I send her back to Avid.

Thanks!

*edit*
Tried EuControl on older intel Mac-Mini 2012. Same story. S1 a no show, FireHD Avid Control works fine. Both via Router and direct connections. All devices pingable in either configuration.

**edit**
If you’ve made it this far, well done. I’ve opened a case and initiated a warranty return, once resolved will update post for any future users with similar issues.

Last edited by OpiZA; 10-08-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:44 AM
Avid

Default Re: Avid S1 suddenly disappeared from My Surfaces (EuControl)

OpiZA

Did you install any virus protection software or instantiate a firewall or anything? If you release the mac address reservation, does that improve? Have to reset/power cycled the router as well/issued new IPs to the Eucon network?

Last question... can you let me know your case number so I can follow up with the agent please?

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 AM

Hey Mark, thanks for the response,

No anti-virus, firewall, router changes.
Tried releasing Mac reservation, and giving everything a different ip range.
Router power cycled. And tried two different routers. I’ll pm you my case number where you’ll find eucon logs, perhaps there’s a tell :)

Thanks
Old 10-08-2021, 10:24 AM

Resolved: Avid replaced the S1 unit. Working fine now, so it was some kind of hardware issue.