Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-23-2021, 04:13 AM

Default Carbon+Ferrofish level matching

Hello, I have a "problem" of level matching between my two converters. I have a brand new Avid Carbon and a Ferrofish A16 AE converter. At +4dbu level setting on both converters the Ferrofish "sounds" lower than the Carbon. I made a test with a 1khz tone feeding two pair of outputs on thew two converters going straight in the the input of the Carbon (no patchabay in the path). The result is about -4dbfs for the Ferrofish. If i switch The Carbon outputs to -10dbv they match. I'm a little bit confused. Any idea?
Thank you.
Fulvio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 12.50.07.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Carbon+Ferrofish level matching

Hello. Did you resolve this issue? I ask as I’m looking to expand my carbon and the Ferro fish seems like the best solution to get 16 I/O. I do notice they sell a version w +24 db option, which sounds like it would solve your issue.

My question to you is are you able to get 8 ch per adat port out of the Ferro fish or only 4 per port? Thanks
Old 02-08-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremedy View Post
Hello. Did you resolve this issue? I ask as I’m looking to expand my carbon and the Ferro fish seems like the best solution to get 16 I/O. I do notice they sell a version w +24 db option, which sounds like it would solve your issue.

My question to you is are you able to get 8 ch per adat port out of the Ferro fish or only 4 per port? Thanks
Yes, I solved. I sold the Ferrofish. Ahahaha. Seriously it wasn’t a real issue for me as I didn’t need to feed o receive signals from an hardware like a summing mixer that probably would benefit from an equal signal
My studio setup changed as I don’t need 24 I/O anymore.
By the way you can get 16 channels (8+8) @ 44.1 and 48 and 8 (4+4) @ 88.2 ana 96 khz. You have to set the second pair of optical ports on the Corbon to Adad mode to achieve full configuration.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremedy View Post

I have a ferrofish pulse 16, its great!. I dont have any leveling issues. With everything set to 0 on the FF, it matches the +4 settings on the carbon excatly. When I set up my rig, I sent a signal generator through it and all sends/returns were identical between the units.

The pulse is tricky because you actually have a LOT of flexibility with the routing, the limiting factor is actually the carbon.

Carbon has 2 adat in and out. Which supports a max of 16 channels at 44.1 and 48k, OR 8 channels at 96k+ over smux (2 adat channels paired)

The pulse actually supports 32 channels of adat across 4 banks. Only 16 of them can be routed to analog i/o at any given time. The pulse can do 16 channels of 96k+ adat by useing 2 banks of 8 adat on smux (all 4 adat banks).

If in the future, they unlock the capability to use adat on a carbon pre you could then pipe the other 8 channels of smux at 96k through that unit giving you 32 channels for 96k + into pro tools. (8 carbon, 8 carb pre, 16 ferrofish)

Personally I have 2 adat preamps that I plug into the extra adat in ports on the pulse and then i have 3 presets in the pulse to change the routing around for tracking when I want to use the preamps, and mixing where I use my outboard gear.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:58 AM

That’s great information. Thanks much. I did actually order a Pukse w the +24dB modification, mainly because I own a post production company and just future proofing it in case I need to put this working in that world where everything is +4. Looking forward to getting it.

Since you are doing what I hope to do - expanding the carbon, may I ask what patchbay you’re using and are you doing anything with the db25 8 channels output/input connections? Thank you