Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Default I want to keep 6.4 but get a new system. Doomed?

Hello amigos,

been reading some conflicting info on this topic, so was hoping for some clarification. Is there any way (dual processors??) of getting a new system on windows 7 64 to run my mbox 1 with PT6.4? If not, is the problem the motherboard, the CPU, the operating system or all three? Would the Allenstein machine work (the link to the post about dual processors doesn't work).

From what I understand, if I keep Windown XP, I can get a great system otherwise and still be able to run my current PT set up, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Been looking into my new system for weeks, and once I sttled and oduble checked here realised that with PT step 1 in building PCs is checking here for compatibility!

Cheers!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 AM

Default Re: I want to keep 6.4 but get a new system. Doomed?

It's kinda like the chicken or the egg. Meaning if you upgrade all the hardware, processors hardrives, memory etc. then you would need to run an operating system: W7 to run the new hardware which in turn would not allow you to run an old Pro Tools 6.4 with a mbox 1. As of now if you wanted to run PT with the current mbox you own, you would need to run PT 8.0.1 and it needs to run on vista 32bit. If you upgrade your mbox then you can run PT9. If you don't want to upgrade the mbox and the old PT 6.4 software then you need to make sure whatever hardware you're running that is new, it will run windows xp, so the big picture is everything kinda goes hand in hand. By reading your post, it sounds like you want to run windows 7 on new hardware. If this is true, then you need to upgrade both Pro Tools to version 8.0.3 and above and you need a mbox 2 and above. Does that answer your question?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 AM

Thank you Caruso,

I think it does. SO as long as XP runs on the cpu and motherboard I want I should be OK? I'm after the ASUS Phenom 2 X6 cpu and the Crosshair motherboard.

I realise in the long term I have to upgrade everything, my main problem is Waves I have won't work on newer PT versions and probably windows 7 and I can definitely not afford to get new waves....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I realise in the long term I have to upgrade everything, my main problem is Waves I have won't work on newer PT versions and probably windows 7 and I can definitely not afford to get new waves....
The maximum amount you will pay to upgrade any Waves bundle is $200, and that is only if you have their "everything" bundle. Depending on which bundle you have, it might be considerably cheaper.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you Caruso,

I think it does. SO as long as XP runs on the cpu and motherboard I want I should be OK? I'm after the ASUS Phenom 2 X6 cpu and the Crosshair motherboard.

Most new motherboards are still supporting XP. Spkguitar's point should be taken as that's pennies to the dollar depending on what bundle you purchased and you're missing out on a lot of new features of PT from 9 that 6.4 didn't have. Two major ones "elastic audio" and the "air" plugins. And lets not forget the ability of third party hardware now supported for PT9 with ADC. That's a BIG DEAL.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM

The Waves upgrade is free as long as you have WUP up to date. The biggest negative in staying with 6.4 (for me) is not having multi-core support.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 AM

I appreciate all the responses. For me 6.4 was perfect, I work in sample based music, and it had all I need. I'm annoyed I have to upgrade, but so be it. Following your advie I will take the leap to a new system, but now I see crossgrading prices don't even apply to me! I'd be happy with 8.04, so I guess my next step would be to find out if my proposed system would be compatible with 8.04. I'll look into it, and hopefully not have to start a new thread!!

Chers,
Snafu
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Hi guys,

finally got the cash needed together for a new system (Phunom 2 6core, ASUS Crosshair 4), so wanted to double check if 6.4 will still run on a new system if it's using XP. Very excited about the new system, so really hope somebody else here has done the same and can tell me for a fact that it does work:)

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

finally got the cash needed together for a new system (Phunom 2 6core, ASUS Crosshair 4), so wanted to double check if 6.4 will still run on a new system if it's using XP. Very excited about the new system, so really hope somebody else here has done the same and can tell me for a fact that it does work:)

Thanks in advance!
Should be fine on XP. Mines on a dual core and runs great. Make sure you have

The PTLE 6.4cs9 update.
The PTLE 6.4cs6 plugin update.
Quicktime 6.5 or newer.
Latest PACE drivers.
Any XP specific drivers needed for you new build.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
The maximum amount you will pay to upgrade any Waves bundle is $200, and that is only if you have their "everything" bundle. Depending on which bundle you have, it might be considerably cheaper.
Not exactly true, waves has no problem explaining why you don't fall under that umbrella.
Example;
I have Gold, API and SSL and the $200 doesn't cover them because they are from different bundles.
If they were all from a single bundle then I would have a $200 max, but instead I have to pay to upgrade each one.
The max is bundle based.