Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 AM

Default trying to import track to T-RACKS from Pro Tools

I'm currently trying to do two things here. one is Pro Tools related and the other relates to my Mac Pro. first the Pro Tools question:

1. Trying to import a track to T-RACKS24 from Pro Tools but it tells me "Session file not avalaible". but I did export the track from Pro Tools down to my Hard drive because I can see it and play. what am I doing wrong here?

2. Trying to burn a test audio track from Pro Tools but my Mac Pro doesn't seem to locate my burner. I have 2 bays on the Mac Pro and the guy in the store showed me the DVD player and a burner on the inside. I can open the DVD player but not the burner bay. Any Mac users out there please chime in and give info. much appreciated.

any info is appreciated. thanks in advance.

GMP
Old 05-09-2009, 06:32 AM

Default Re: trying to import track to T-RACKS from Pro Tools

Not 100% sure on question one.
I assume you bounced a .WAV or .AIFF file from your PT session and are trying to open that in standalone T-RACKS.
If you bounced a Wav and can play it okay in say iTunes then I cant see why it would not open in T-RACKS.
Maybe you bounced an MP3 or other compressed version of your song from PT and not a Wav or AIFF file.
I have TRACKS3 Deluxe and it only accepts uncompressed files like Wav or AIFF to be opened.

Re Question 2 my experience with Mac's and especially Mac Pro's is that the DVD player is also a DVD burner.
I have one DVD bay being used on my Mac Pro and this plays and burns disks.
Even if you spec your mac with 2 DVD bays I am pretty sure you can only choose a 2nd DVD and burner combo for the second slot.
I might be wrong but this is all we can choose here in Australia.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Yes, I did export it as a wav. file. you said "bounce", maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? should I bounce the track to my hard drive instead of export it? kinda confusing because when I used Cubase, it's function was called "export".

let me know.

on question #2, I see. so that extra bay is actually blank and I can burn with my DVD player? cool. but what application do I use to burn it to a CD and listen to it in the car? does Mac come with one, or do I need to download it? can I do it from iTunes?

thanks for you help on this.

GMP
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM

iTunes will let you burn to CD.

Sparky1
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM

#1 Export as a stereo interlaced file, not multi-mono.

#2 Press and hold the option key and then the eject cd key.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
iTunes will let you burn to CD.

Sparky1
ok, cool. thanks

GMP
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrespace View Post
#1 Export as a stereo interlaced file, not multi-mono.

#2 Press and hold the option key and then the eject cd key.
#1. I did that, but T-RACKS still says "session file not available" when I try to load it into T-RACKS to add a mix. any other suggestions?

#2. cool. I know how to eject and load CD's/DVD's. I was trying to figure out how to burn them.... Sparky1 answered it for me. thanks

GMP
Old 05-10-2009, 06:05 AM

The "Bounce to disk" option will create a WAV or AIFF file of your full mix session. When it does this it will play the whole track from beginning to end (assuming you selected the whole track length) and then creates the WAV at the end of the processing.
"Bounce to disk" takes time and is a pain compared to exporting in Cubase but it is unfortunately the PT standard way to create a version of your final mix that you can burn.
With the MP3 option active in your PT system you can of course also bounce to disk and create an MP3 of your mix the same way.

Another option instead of "bounce to disk" is a little more complicated but some people prefer this. What you do is to send all your tracks in your session to a stereo bus and then create a new audio track. On that new audio track select the stereo bus you just used as your new audio track's input. Arm the audio track and hit record and it will write the full mix to the audio track directly in your session.
You then find the audio file just created in your session audio folder and and then use this file to master in T-RACKS.
Some people prefer this option to create their final mix because they don't trust the bounce to disk function and claim it doesn't write all their automation etc. I have never had issues with bounce to disk and hence use bounce to disk all the time.

By the way the export menu option you are used to from Cubase does not do the same thing in PT and you wont create the file you were thinking you were creating.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukman View Post
The "Bounce to disk" option will create a WAV or AIFF file of your full mix session. When it does this it will play the whole track from beginning to end (assuming you selected the whole track length) and then creates the WAV at the end of the processing.
"Bounce to disk" takes time and is a pain compared to exporting in Cubase but it is unfortunately the PT standard way to create a version of your final mix that you can burn.
With the MP3 option active in your PT system you can of course also bounce to disk and create an MP3 of your mix the same way.

Another option instead of "bounce to disk" is a little more complicated but some people prefer this. What you do is to send all your tracks in your session to a stereo bus and then create a new audio track. On that new audio track select the stereo bus you just used as your new audio track's input. Arm the audio track and hit record and it will write the full mix to the audio track directly in your session.
You then find the audio file just created in your session audio folder and and then use this file to master in T-RACKS.
Some people prefer this option to create their final mix because they don't trust the bounce to disk function and claim it doesn't write all their automation etc. I have never had issues with bounce to disk and hence use bounce to disk all the time.

By the way the export menu option you are used to from Cubase does not do the same thing in PT and you wont create the file you were thinking you were creating.

Cheers
very good info/advice, I really appreciate this, man. thanks.

I've been struggling to forget my Cubase know-how and applying the Pro Tools know how.

GMP