Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Investing in CD Replication - Is it Worth it Now?

I'll be the first to admit that I prefer a nice replicated CD with top-notch artwork printed on the best stock possible. To get this you're going to have to spend at least $1000 for 1000 CD's. Now, in the age of MP3's, Ipods, and laptops, is a replicated disc really necessary for an independent artist? Afterall, isnt' it going to be reduced anyway (to MP3, etc.)? Since I've started my own CD project, I've been putting a lot of thought into this.

I'm not going to lie, Discmakers, Oasis, Acme, etc. will give you a great product that can look just like a major label product (if you do your part correctly). On the other hand, you will pay a good bit to make that happen. But let's say you went another route. What if you released an Itunes CD and simply spent money to buzz it out? I don't know about you guys, but I've spent a good bit on Itunes over the last couple of months. And though I prefer WAV/CDA format, AAC isn't all that bad to jam out to (IMO). In fact, I've discovered some killer new bands b/c of Itunes. Itunes can be a fun time for sure.

The problem is this. You can make all the CD's in the world - whatever price. If no one knows of you, it won't matter. I think that (nowadays) money is much better spent on promotion than product. It's sad but true. Does that mean I will slack on my musical production? Nope, but I am thinking about taking a different route when it comes to pressing it. You (as an independent) can pay to look "major label" all day, but the fact of the matter is you're not. If you're an ok artist with a big buzz and homeade cassette tapes to back it up, you'll do better than an awesome artist with no buzz and professional CD's to back it up. Buzz = customers = money. No buzz = no customers = no money.

What do you guys think? What are some alternatives to the classic, "I just made a CD, it looks major label, and now I'm ready."

rockrev
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Investing in CD Replication - Is it Worth it Now?

I also wanted to mention that I know of one moderately successful artist that sold (probably still sells) "official bootlegs." He would get a minimum order of replicated CD's and sell them for full price, but he would also burn CD-R's from the master, print the artwork on his printer, load them in a jewel case, and label them "official bootleg copy." The bootlegs would sell for about half price, and he would sell just as many (if not more) copies than originals. Like I said, peeps read the liner notes once (if ever) than copy to their PC/Mac/Ipod/MP3 player, etc. and never look back.

rockrev

BTW - adding a signature and a unique serial number could possibly make it even more desirable - especially once you "made it" to some degree. I remember seeing handwritten/drawn Smashing Pumpkins demo cassettes on ebay for at least $300 each. But that's another story.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 AM

I'd like to hear some feedback from people on this as well. Mainly, what brands to go for for DIY replication. I've seen some ads in MIX, but have never really gotten into it myself.

Anyone?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 AM

Here is my 2 cents guys:

I just recently finished and released a solo album myself (my release was last weekend). I have everything digitally distributing through all the online download places and what not (should be up in a few weeks or so), I went through a company called National Media Services to do a small run of 50 cd's for hard copies initially and got an excellent run rate to do any more if I want to. I figured initially being I am my own promotion, label, studio..etc.. and am doing this all on my own that if I pushed 50 hard copies initially that I would be doing excellent for my own steam at the moment seeing as I hold a day job also on top of this and am considering going back to school soon.

Hard copies are worth it to have in a low quantity atleast if you are doing it on your own and don't have a major distribution contract. I just went through cdbaby.net and set up shop to sell my hard copies online, and they are partnered with all the downloading sites like Itunes, Music Match, AOL, Rhapsody...etc.. so it helps get the good word out there a little online. Eventually the cd is probably going to be obsolete just like the good old 8 tracks and Cassettes..etc.. but there is nothing like opening your first run of a cd after you busted a## to get your project done and what not.

On the other hand, if you are on some label and have a huge distribution contract, then go with one of the major replication companies caus it will be well worth the investment if you are doing this full time. I would highly reccomend National Media Services for low runs though if you guys just want a handful of copies to sell offline. You can always get re-prints if you need to for cheaper.

goodluck with your releases.