Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 bouncing icon. Will not launch.

Hey guys, we've had this problem on a few of our editorial rigs in the past. But it seems like it's happening more and more often. I've searched this out in the past and all the help seems to be only for Tiger OS 10.4.11 w/PT7...BUT we're running OS 10.5.8 w/PT8.

I've got one particular editor where from day to day PT will act weird. One day he'll come in and it won't launch...it'll just bounce in the dock and other days it works just fine. We've tried reinstalling PT8 and that will sometimes makes a difference. But we can't just do that every time he has the problem. That's just too time consuming. We're on a schedule here in TV editorial. Of course we've restarted the cpu and all peripherals to no avail. I've tried to launch from the applications folder directly. No change. Today I finally shut down the entire system and unplugged the pwr cord on the CPU for a few secs. I plugged it back in booted up the entire system and wouldn't you know it..PT started up w/no problems. Now this is weird b/c he shuts his system down completely every night. (obviously he doesn't pull the pwr on the cpu every night)

Any ideas on this? So you all know, all our systems are cloned directly from our master drive w/all our programs installed. So we have over 60 PT systems ALL running the same version of PT and OSX.

Thanks for your help.

Jason
Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 bouncing icon. Will not launch.

Hmm. How old is the pt rig ? Is it only this specific rig that is having problems?

If it is but the rig is less than a year old, sounds like u might have a memory stick going bad. Also if u have an original image of the box might recommend reimaging the box to try to eliminate a software issue as you need to start eliminating possible issues.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM

I use the same image for all our systems. All our systems have the same programs and everything else on them. All preferences are the same too.
Now, it just might be a bad memory issue...but it's a new cpu out of the box 2 months ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 PM

did you check your disks ? (primarily the system disk - I prefer disk warior for this task), did you repair user-permissions ? (with disk utility or disk warrior), clear the pram (press 'option-cmd p+r' during startup)

I had similair problems and this helped, maybe it´s worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Just a thought, but have you tried re-seating the protools cards and checking that the snake cables are firmly secured?.......solved a weird issue I had a year or two ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Yes, I forgot to say that I did repair permissions. Maybe later when he's not on the rig I'll run some diskwarrior on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM

So, I went through all our TV editorial systems and updated to cs2. Now I have about 2-3 systems having the same problem. Although cs2 fixed a picture playback problem...where if they went past 25 minutes in the reel and it would show the countdown as the picture to the audio. Weird stuff!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

I also forgot to mention that if we let the bouncing icon to bounce, it'll eventually stop at about 1.5 mins...then it just sits there for about 3-4 minutes w/nothing happening...eventually it'll start to open PT but that will take another 3 or so mins. This is really weird b/c it's happening on a couple of systems. WTF?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJay View Post
I also forgot to mention that if we let the bouncing icon to bounce, it'll eventually stop at about 1.5 mins...then it just sits there for about 3-4 minutes w/nothing happening...eventually it'll start to open PT but that will take another 3 or so mins. This is really weird b/c it's happening on a couple of systems. WTF?
I am having the EXACT same problem that you describe. Did you find any solution?

PT HD2 8.0.4
Mac OS X 10.6.4
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindman View Post
I am having the EXACT same problem that you describe. Did you find any solution?

PT HD2 8.0.4
Mac OS X 10.6.4
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2
Read these stickies first...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=240754

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193634

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.