Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Bass Guitar Plugin or Applicable Tools

Hello-

Im tracking bass directly into the MBox/PT for simplicty and use various plugins to try and get some shape to the overall tone.. Some plugins I used and work decent are NI Guitar Rig ( a few of the Bass presets) and the PSP Vintage Warmer to add some fullness/tone.. However, I havent come across a plugin dedicated to Bass tone only outside of Steinberg's Virtual Bassist ( which is more actually Midi files routed via rewrie) and IK's Ampeg SVX which hasnt been released yet..

Obvioulsy using a DI box directly works or micing a dedicated bass AMP, but does anyone use a dedicated Bass Plugin for remote recording or for simplicty? There are loads of options out there for Gits, but limited for Bass Gits.. Any suggestions or commets are appreciated in advance..

Thx-
Old 09-30-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Bass Guitar Plugin or Applicable Tools

It all depends on the sound you are going for.

For straight bass...lots of great records are using the raw (eq'd and compressed) Di track.

NI Guitar rig is as good as it gets (IMHO on LE) for bass and guitar sims.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:09 AM

I know you are asking about plugins specifically, however I have to say Guitar Rig is a bit of an overkill for Bass both on functionality and especially CPU consumption. It's hard to beat a SansAmp BassDI for recording bass (apart from micing up a Bass rig) and the original is extremely portable.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Once you get the sound you like just route the track output through to annother audio track and "print" it.... no dsp involved.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:51 AM

I use Maxim for Bass, it fills it out nicely. MaxxBass (which is now renamed Renaissance Bass) is supposed to be good, but I don't ever use it (its one of those that just sits in the plug folder and gets no action).

With Maxim:
I can't put it on the channel until after its been recorded though - too much delay. If you use maxim on your session, I recommend you use delay compensation on mixdown, or shift the audio earlier on the track to make up for it. It delays 1028 samples which is extremely noticeable (Alt+click twice on the volume display to show the number of samples each track is delayed).

On an LE system you'll probably have to print to another track like bigbubbaj mentioned. After you do that, just disable the track and hide it - DONT DELETE - so you can make changes later if you decide you don't like your sound or FX.

SIDE NOTE -- Maxim, if you don't use delay compensation or shift the audio earlier, can give you that same late hit effect as those musicians who always think they play better under the influence of some choice substances. –
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 09-30-2005, 11:35 AM

yes, I would suggest Sansamp, a DI with compression, or if you are going for effects the NI guitar rig, or something like a POD. speaking of which, I have a bass pod up for cheap in the buy/sell section if you're interested. if not thats cool too. peace
Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Thx for the input-

Im aware of the various standard methods ( such as a PSP Vintage Warmer or WAVESPlugin(s)).. I guess what I was inquiring about was if there were any Bass Guitar Plugins that are out there which give you the flexability for tone/shape/pre-package sounds.. I am eager for IK's Ampeg SVX (as mentioned in the thread earlier), I am actually supirsed there are limited Plugin Models for standard Bass.. I guess I look for the IK SVX coming soon.. And/or if there are any other ideas, Im all eyes..

Bo-
Old 09-30-2005, 11:44 AM

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

You should use this one and no software it's the same as driving a porsche software amp simulators are like driving a porsche on playstation
Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

You should use this one and no software it's the same as driving a porsche software amp simulators are like driving a porsche on playstation

Like the analogy... Well said..

Thx-
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM

that brick looks nice, i have a focusrite voice master w/ instrument input and a ampeg VST solid state head, and am wondering
what you guys think would be the best for tracking bass, i do urban styles of music and older funk style stuff.

im using the new M Box 2

seems if their gonna release a vst plug inn maybe i should just runn out the line out of the amp to the m box??

any thoughts? suggestions?

ive only had this m box n ptl set up a week n havent really tryed tracking anyting yet