How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2021, 03:09 PM

Default Protools 2021.3.1 not working with Windows10 v20H2

Hi

I have a Dell PC with Windows 10 v 20H2 and recently my system downloaded some feature updates. After installing, none of saved Protools project files work, when I try opening them Protools closes abruptly before being able to fully load the project. I was able to uninstall the Windows update, and Protools is running again, I've tried this twice but am facing the same issue. Not sure how long I can stop Windows from updating, can anybody advise if this is a known glitch and what I should do?

Thanks
PJ
Old 04-24-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Protools 2021.3.1 not working with Windows10 v20H2

Can’t help at all if you don’t give us detailed system information. Follow this link to tell us about your setup.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Which incarnation of Pro Tools did these projects get created on? (I just opened a session on 2021.3.1 that I created in 2006 with zero issues.)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:44 PM

I have the latest Windows 10 updates and v2021.3.1 and no issues opening sessions at all. Have you done all the optimizations?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-24-2021, 04:47 PM

hi, thanks so much for your quick response, apologies for not providing details, snapshots of system details, and protools also attached.

am facing problems with projects saved using this latest 2021 version of protools itself.

let me try to explain the sequence of events leading to the issue.

1. created a new project using protools 2021 and saved it.
2. installed windows feature upgrade.
3. now tried opening the project created in (1) above, and protools just shuts down before getting to the project window.
4. i believe i was able to create an entirely new project file after upgrading (not sure now)!
5. uninstalled the above windows updated, restarted, and was able to open all files again.

if no one else is facing this problem, i guess i must be missing something, anything else i can provide that help explain the issue? not sure if protools creates an error file that i could share as well.

hope i am not sounding crazy :)

thanks
PJ
Attached Images
File Type: png protools info.PNG (20.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sysinfo.jpg (43.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I have the latest Windows 10 updates and v2021.3.1 and no issues opening sessions at all. Have you done all the optimizations?

oops! not sure what i need to optimize

am facing problems with projects saved using this latest 2021 version of protools itself. system details attached.

let me try to explain the sequence of events leading to the issue.

1. created a new project using protools 2021 and saved it.
2. installed windows feature upgrade.
3. now tried opening the project created in (1) above, and protools just shuts down before getting to the project window.
4. i believe i was able to create an entirely new project file after upgrading (not sure now)!
5. uninstalled the above windows updated, restarted, and was able to open all files again.

if no one else is facing this problem, i guess i must be missing something, anything else i can provide that help explain the issue? not sure if protools creates an error file that i could share as well.

hope i am not sounding crazy :)

thanks
PJ
Attached Images
File Type: png protools info.PNG (20.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sysinfo.jpg (43.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:52 AM

I would reinstall my interface driver as a last resort. Make windows find your interface. Is it a USB device? What interface are you using? PT won't start if it can't find an interface.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:40 PM

thanks so much looks like you solved the issue!

silly i never thought of updating my interface driver. have a Presonus 44VSL, just downloaded the latest driver, first removed the old one, installed the Win10 update, then the new driver, and all seems to be ok.

fyi, my issue was weird, and perhaps why i did not think of the driver. earlier with the Win10 update, I was able to create new PT projects, just not be able open the ones created before the Win update and using the very same PT!!

weird, dunno if it was perhaps a combination of some other issues earlier, only hope this doesn't happen again. thanks a ton once again :)

------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
I would reinstall my interface driver as a last resort. Make windows find your interface. Is it a USB device? What interface are you using? PT won't start if it can't find an interface.