Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-12-2021, 04:33 PM

Default No signal on input

I'm on a quest to use Pro Tools to run our church live stream. We have a Presonus 32R mixer for the broadcast. I had been having a problem with the mixer not being available on the computer, but that decided to just remedy itself after a few weeks. On Sunday I did a test recording to make sure it would work. I created 32 tracks and armed everything. I recorded every channel. When went to go mix it, I didn't have any drum tracks. Today I went to church and tried recording some drum samples myself so I could get the signal processing set up before Sunday morning. made sure I had the correct inputs but had no signal. I reset the I0. No change. There's signal on the mixer and I'm running Windows. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 PM

Default Re: No signal on input

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMeyers View Post
I had been having a problem with the mixer not being available on the computer, but that decided to just remedy itself after a few weeks.
That sounds extraordinarily fishy. If that happened on my system, I'd make sure the console firmware is up to date and do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Presonus driver and software on the computer. I'd also swap the USB cable and try it in a different port.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-12-2021, 06:00 PM

I'll see about updating the firmware. If it does it again I'll swap the cable to a different port and cable.

After finding a thread that had a similar problem but on Mac that had signal in Logic, I'm going to see if I can get to church tomorrow and see if it works in Reaper.

Any ideas on the Pro Tools side why it might be doing this? Or would it just be a hardware issue? I really can't think of anything else considering the stuff I tried in PT. Other tracks had signal just fine. Like what the heck.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:19 AM

Is it possible the track or tracks may inadvertently be muted or assigned to an aux on the mixer?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-13-2021, 12:09 PM

I'll dig even deeper:
#1-How experienced are you with Pro Tools?
#2-How versed are you in the "audio engine" setup?(wondering if this is down to operator error)

Re #1-When you recorded 32 tracks in your test session, did you see meters showing signal on those drum tracks? Could you be trying to record audio(from the Presonus inputs to INSTRUMENT tracks? A common newbie mistake is to try recording instruments(drums, guitar, bass, etc) to INSTRUMENT tracks, when these are actually for Virtual Instruments(VI plugins, like MiniGrand or Kontact)

Re #2-I would first make sure the Presonus is selected to be the "audio engine"(Setup menu>Hardware), which I suspect IS set correctly. Next, I would go thru the Presonus setup and make sure that all 32 inputs are being routed on a 1 to 1 basis to the USB connection(which feeds Pro Tools) This is worth checking any time you are not getting input signal.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave