Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Headphone Mixes from sends

Hey all

Little headphone trouble here. Everything is monitored strictly from PT, no console. The only problem i'm having is when we change sessions to start a new song, I import session data from the last song, which brings all the tracks in with the send assingments already sent. The only problem, is that the levels on the sends aren't the same as the last save of the session. They seem to be saved as they were at the beginning of the session before the headphone mixes were finished. So every song i have to go back and re-tweak all the headphone mixes.

Has anyone else experienced this? is there any other ways around it? Is it a bug?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Headphone Mixes from sends

I've seen this and it's a bug. It doesn't always happen and going back to the original session and tweaking and resaving, then re-importing some times fixes it. Since it's not 100% reproducible i've been unable to report it properly.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah i know what you mean. Unfortunatley i don't usually have time in a gig to go back to a previous session to do tweaks. Also sometimes the headphone mixes are changing from song to song, so it's not just one session i'm drawing from, i'm continually updating the mix from song to song.

Does anyone have any other ways of doing headphone mixes from session to session other than import session data? I can't think of any other way to do it.

Probably shouldn't hold my breath for a fix from Digi either should I? ;P
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Try taking all your tracks out of record before you do the save otherwise ProTools reverts back to the last time you made a save without being in record mode.
This is true of the main faders anyway so maybe it would help you.
HD Native PCIe
Apogee Symphony I/O
Avid HD I/O
192 I/O
Waves DLI
Apogee Mini Me
Mbox Micro
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any other ways of doing headphone mixes from session to session other than import session data? I can't think of any other way to do it.
I have used one technique that involves bussing and importing session data. But it works wonderfully and gives me quick control over three separate cue mixes.

First of all, the idea is to virtually build another mixer for cue mixes. That can be done by setting a buss for every track that will be monitored (for example, KIT-MON, BASS-MON, LV-MON, BV-MON etc). Then set pre-sends at unity for all those monitored tracks. This way you forward monitoring decisions to another channel strips.

Then, insert as many new aux tracks as you need. Set inputs to the busses used earlier. Assuming you have two sends visible ("A" and "F" for example, not send assignments) you can easily make two different que mixes from the sends plus one additional mix by mixing the aux tracks together.

Now when you have made those perfect cue mixes for the band and need to change session to another song, all you need to do is set some pre-sends to unity and import those aux tracks into the new session - and that's it. Just where you left it.

(this eats more DSP, but the level of control I have over three cue mixes is priceless to me)
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input! I will try both of these out and see how they go.

Peace
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input! I will try both of these out and see how they go.

Peace
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Try taking all your tracks out of record before you do the save otherwise ProTools reverts back to the last time you made a save without being in record mode.
This is true of the main faders anyway so maybe it would help you.
+1 on this. I had a nightmare with headphone sends transfering with imports, and someone suggested making sure my tracks were out of record when saving. No problems since then.