Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 02:02 AM

Default MTRX Studio distortion on outputs

Hi everyone,

On my new MTRX studio i have a problem.

When i output in Pro Tools 0dBFS full scale, i get a lot of distortion with the output set as standard. I have to lower the monitor output in DAD software below 0dB. I checked this with a 100 Hz test tone. This a very low output level.

On the outputs 3 to 18 I can't set the output any higher as 6dB with the +6dB knob activated. This is a very low output compared to Lynx Aurora or Metric Halo.

The output levels DADman software are supposed to adjust the hardware.
Or am i missing something? Anyone else having this output level issue? Is the MTRX Studio broken?
Old 05-13-2023, 04:32 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio distortion on outputs

You might want to give this a read….

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Mon&popup=true

Not sure why you’re sending out 0dBFS from Pro Tools. That’s going to be way too loud. Your test tone should be -18 or -20dBFS coming out of Pro Tools. The faders in DADMan set the maximum output level of the MTRX to achieve a nominal SPL in the room with a dBu scale.

You’re supposed to set the maximum output level (dBu) of the MTRX to match the maximum operating level of your speakers. It’s not supposed to be a 0dBFS from Pro Tools matching 0dBu on the MTRX.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:32 AM

Thanks for your message!

Yes, I know that is way to loud direct feed into my speakers.
I feed the monitor to an analog monotor control and compare it a Benchmark dac.

My question is: does Dadmen software controls digital gain or the levels the output?

If I keep it at max level (which is default) everything over -12 dBFS clips at the output of the MTRX.

I feed the analog outputs into a mixing console. These outputs also distort. So I have to take down the level in PT or in Dadman, what results in very low level. I have compensate this with extra gain on the console. And not just little.

I have read the article.
It says you can max these outputs plus the extra 6 dB knob.
If work like this I get a lot of distortion. This is also if have the faders in the exact same position as in this example picture in the article.

However with all other converters, Lynx, Apogee, Metric Halo, the levels are fine and no clipping. Even even all the way up to 0 dBFS. As it should.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:58 AM

I’m having trouble following your signal flow.

First you said your feeding an analog monitor controller
Then you said you’re feeding the analog outputs to a console?
In either case, what is the maximum input signal either can accept?

If this were me, I’d break this down one step at a time.

Send -18dBFS from Pro Tools. In DADMan check the meter from Pro Tools to see if it shows -18. You then need to determine what the maximum input level is for the device you’re sending to

“ what is the correct setting of the analog output level? The short answer is that it must match the maximum input level on the equipment connected to the output of the Pro Tools | MTRX or MTRX Studio. ”

If the maximum input level of your console’s analog inputs it +7dBu then you must set the maximum fader level in DADMan to +7dBu. Anything above that will distort the signal going into your console since it can only handle analog signals up to +7dBu.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:59 AM

additionally: though I use the modular MTRX unit, I too output the DADman signal at 0dbfs to my monitor controller for my speakers, to control the actual monitor volume from there, without any issues.

Do you see the meters clipping in DADman? If not, you can be sure it's on the analog side of things. Just a few out of the box things do double check:

- use a different set of analog outputs on the MTRX
- swap XLR cables
- try a different set of analog inputs on the console.

I know these are stupid check points and if the same cabling / same input on the analog console doesn't give any problem then it's most probably on the side of the DA of the MTRX Studio
Old 05-13-2023, 08:08 AM

oh wait a minute: for example the Lynx Aurora, just looked that one up, it's at +20dBu trim. You should check your consoles input. If you have set the MTRX Studio to +24dbu , then it distorts when your console can't handle that extra 4dB .

You can easily trim your analog output levels in DADman, like in the screenshot at the avid knowledge base its2loud posted
Old 05-13-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
additionally: though I use the modular MTRX unit, I too output the DADman signal at 0dbfs to my monitor controller for my speakers, to control the actual monitor volume from there, without any issues.

Yes, this is exactly what i do. At what level do you have your monitor output in DADman?

Do you see the meters clipping in DADman?
No, i never saw anywhere any meter clipping, not in DADman and not on the box itself
If not, you can be sure it's on the analog side of things. Just a few out of the box things do double check:

- use a different set of analog outputs on the MTRX
- swap XLR cables
- try a different set of analog inputs on the console.

I know these are stupid check points and if the same cabling / same input on the analog console doesn't give any problem then it's most probably on the side of the DA of the MTRX Studio
That s what im thinking too. Nevertheless, it is on all the outputs

"oh wait a minute: for example the Lynx Aurora, just looked that one up, it's at +20dBu trim. You should check your consoles input. If you have set the MTRX Studio to +24dbu , then it distorts when your console can't handle that extra 4dB"

My console can handle the level easily, as can the monitor controller

"You can easily trim your analog output levels in DADman"

That is indeed the point, do the faders in DADmain adjust the gain digitally or do they trim the analog outputs? This 6 dB button is in the analog, that is for sure, and with that i can't force an overload on whatever is next in the chain

"First you said your feeding an analog monitor controller
In either case, what is the maximum input signal either can accept?"

Monitor outputs connected to passive monitor control, output db25 3 to 18 into the console for summing. The console has an input gain so no problems there. The output is at max level from the MTRX is still lower than Lynx or Apogee. The console (Cadac) can handle way more level than any DA interface delivers.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The console has an input gain so no problems there. The output is at max level from the MTRX is still lower than Lynx or Apogee. The console (Cadac) can handle way more level than any DA interface delivers.
Did you do any of the signal flow tests as suggested? 1k tone @-18dBFS from Pro Tools, through DADMan, out an analog output 3-18, into the console analog input measuring -18dBFS or 0VU?

The output faders in DADMan are all setting the maximum output level in dBu relative to the input signal as stated before.

If your Cadac is an analog console then the maximum input level is this
+21 dBu (balanced)

Therefore the maximum fader level in DADMan should be +21dBu

If your Cadac console is digital then I’m not sure why you’re sending analog outputs from the MTRX to that console.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menno1000 View Post
That s what im thinking too. Nevertheless, it is on all the outputs

"oh wait a minute: for example the Lynx Aurora, just looked that one up, it's at +20dBu trim. You should check your consoles input. If you have set the MTRX Studio to +24dbu , then it distorts when your console can't handle that extra 4dB"

My console can handle the level easily, as can the monitor controller

"You can easily trim your analog output levels in DADman"

That is indeed the point, do the faders in DADmain adjust the gain digitally or do they trim the analog outputs? This 6 dB button is in the analog, that is for sure, and with that i can't force an overload on whatever is next in the chain

"First you said your feeding an analog monitor controller
In either case, what is the maximum input signal either can accept?"

Monitor outputs connected to passive monitor control, output db25 3 to 18 into the console for summing. The console has an input gain so no problems there. The output is at max level from the MTRX is still lower than Lynx or Apogee. The console (Cadac) can handle way more level than any DA interface delivers.
faders in DADMan do trim the analog output / determine the headroom to match your analog equipments headroom. Actually in steps of 0.1dB so very accurate. Don't exactly understand what you mean with the 6dB button.

Cadac Live can do up to +21dBu , S-type can handle up to +24dBu

The MTRX Studio does up to +24dBu on the D/A , which actually is 4dB louder than for instance the Lynx. So there must be going on something else.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:56 AM

@RobertDorn, Are we just typing at the same or are you ignoring my input here?Cuz we are saying the exact same things. Just asking cuz I’ll bow out if you two would like to carry on.