Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 02:24 AM

Default Re: MTRX STUDIO + Thunderbolt 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Here is reading using Digital Loopback via AES, rather than just the TB to TB patch in DADMAN.

Sorry if it was confusing for people.

I suspect you have enabled SRC on the AES card. This will add some latency and explains why the measured RTL is higher than the reported RTL.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:12 AM

The whole issue of RTL is quite complex, as can be seen in this thread so here's a quick comment.

The actual RTL (measured) depends on a number of factors. Apart from the obvious one which is the Coreaudio buffer size, it also depends on which type of interface (analog, MADI, AES, ADAT, etc.) is used for the loopback.

Another factor affecting the RTL is the internal delay in the AX64/MTRX/MTRX Studio. By default the internal delay is set to "minimum" which is 2 samples. If you enable the monitor profile, the internal delay is increased to 7 to allow for summing, SPQ, etc. The internal delay remains at 7 even if you subsequently disable the monitor profile. It can be set back manually if needed.

We have made some quick measurements on an AX64 with the minimum system delay and various interfaces. This shows the difference in RTL between the different types of interfaces.

It is also worth noting that the headphone outputs on MTRX Studio have a "short delay" mode which reduces the latency by applying a different digital filter. The amount of reduction in latency is dependent on sample rate.

I am sure this will raise a lot more questions so we are working to get a more elaborate explanation in a few weeks. Please be patient with your questions until then as I will not be answering questions about RTL in the mean time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTL Measurement.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Digi dly.jpg (14.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Headphone.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2023, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
I suspect you have enabled SRC on the AES card. This will add some latency and explains why the measured RTL is higher than the reported RTL.
Ah yes indeed, I have.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 05-03-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
The whole issue of RTL is quite complex, as can be seen in this thread so here's a quick comment.

The actual RTL (measured) depends on a number of factors. Apart from the obvious one which is the Coreaudio buffer size, it also depends on which type of interface (analog, MADI, AES, ADAT, etc.) is used for the loopback.

Another factor affecting the RTL is the internal delay in the AX64/MTRX/MTRX Studio. By default the internal delay is set to "minimum" which is 2 samples. If you enable the monitor profile, the internal delay is increased to 7 to allow for summing, SPQ, etc. The internal delay remains at 7 even if you subsequently disable the monitor profile. It can be set back manually if needed.

We have made some quick measurements on an AX64 with the minimum system delay and various interfaces. This shows the difference in RTL between the different types of interfaces.

It is also worth noting that the headphone outputs on MTRX Studio have a "short delay" mode which reduces the latency by applying a different digital filter. The amount of reduction in latency is dependent on sample rate.

I am sure this will raise a lot more questions so we are working to get a more elaborate explanation in a few weeks. Please be patient with your questions until then as I will not be answering questions about RTL in the mean time.
Hi Jan,

Thanks for this very useful information.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 05-07-2023, 09:05 AM

When using the new TB3 option can the system still be gen-locked to external video Ref with a SYNC HD or X or is that only possible via Digilink (since the serial connection to the SYNC is missing)

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
When using the new TB3 option can the system still be gen-locked to external video Ref with a SYNC HD or X or is that only possible via Digilink (since the serial connection to the SYNC is missing)

Thanks!

Frank.
Still only possible with Digilink as the playback engine. I asked Mark Corbin about that in the main MTRX II thread but no reply. I try to point this out to Avid every chance I get. PT needs to change on the software side and accept other sync sources.

As of this moment if you want frame-edge sync that's a $9,000 USD option