Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 04-11-2023, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Avid MTRX 2 ?

Careful, the DAD guy who posts here doesn’t take criticism well.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:51 AM

That MTRX 2 doesn’t make a lot of sense to me and I have been trying to figure out why. Now I know.

It’s a lot less “audio router” than the previous DAD/MTRX offerings, and much more “expandable audio interface with a big price tag”. That is because it doesn’t have the same variety and parity of audio IO as previous models. With only 64x Digilink and 64x Madi as standard, the 256x available Dante seems like it is half useless unless you fork out some big pennies for expansion cards.

The new DAD thundercore stuff doesn’t have that same feeling because it also has the 256x TB connectivity. They are proper, fully functioning audio routers with no strings attached!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
That MTRX 2 doesn’t make a lot of sense to me and I have been trying to figure out why. Now I know.

It’s a lot less “audio router” than the previous DAD/MTRX offerings, and much more “expandable audio interface with a big price tag”. That is because it doesn’t have the same variety and parity of audio IO as previous models.
I don’t know what you’re referring to here… MTRX v1 required cards for the IO, and v2 has all the same routing capability, + thunderbolt option + built-in SPQ + built in Dante (it seems)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:

It’s a lot less “audio router” than the previous DAD/MTRX offerings, and much more “expandable audio interface with a big price tag”. That is because it doesn’t have the same variety and parity of audio IO as previous models. With only 64x Digilink and 64x Madi as standard, the 256x available Dante seems like it is half useless unless you fork out some big pennies for expansion cards.

The new DAD thundercore stuff doesn’t have that same feeling because it also has the 256x TB connectivity. They are proper, fully functioning audio routers with no strings attached!
Well no, that’s not true. While MTRX II doesn’t have the 16 channels of AES like the first MTRX, it comes with 256 Dante channels installed (was an option card for the first unit) and SPQ installed (also not on the MTRX v1) . However whereas the AX64, which the MTRX II is based on, comes with Thunderbolt / thundercore pre-installed, it’s an option on the MTRX 2 and everyone who needs AES now has to buy an extra I/O card for it.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I don’t know what you’re referring to here… MTRX v1 required cards for the IO, and v2 has all the same routing capability, + thunderbolt option + built-in SPQ + built in Dante (it seems)
The beauty and wow factor of the MTRX v1, at least to me, was that it came about at a time when we were all mucking around with HD IOs or Focusrite Dante boxes or some other relatively generic in design 32 channel digilink interface. Sudden we had 64 digilink and 64 madi and 16 aes all within a single routing matrix, and could add 64 Dante for something stupidly cheap like $300.

By having that parity of various IO in the base unit, the MTRX v1 was exceptionally functional as the epicentre of a lot of digital based studios without needing to use any of the expansion slots at all. You could attach Genelec or whatever brand of digital monitors, you could attach AES or Dante based preamps and be recording and mixing without much fuss. The MTRX v1 is basically a 9 year old device, and it could do that.

I don't really see how the same can be said for the MTRX 2. How do you attach monitors to the base unit? What function does 256 Dante IO really serve in a base unit that only has 64 digilink and 64 madi IO to route to it? Do the extra 128 channels just go to waste unless you stick expansion cards in it? That is weird to me. The base unit for the MTRX 2 is 30% higher in price, but seems far less useful as the epicentre of a studio straight out of the box. Unlike the MTRX v1, the MTRX 2 seems like it mandates the need to be expanded to actually be useful.

That is only part of the issue too, I reckon. DAD have seriously piled on some competition with all the v2 interfaces they have released.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Well no, that’s not true. While MTRX II doesn’t have the 16 channels of AES like the first MTRX, it comes with 256 Dante channels installed (was an option card for the first unit) and SPQ installed (also not on the MTRX v1) . However whereas the AX64, which the MTRX II is based on, comes with Thunderbolt / thundercore pre-installed, it’s an option on the MTRX 2 and everyone who needs AES now has to buy an extra I/O card for it.

It isn't 2014 anymore. Stuff like SPQ should be included as standard, because that is what 9 years of technological evolution does.

It sounds like you are describing an "expandable audio interface with a big price tag", like I said. The MTRX 2 really isn't a good audio router. It is an $8K base unit that has 256 channels of Dante that can't even be fully used unless you expand it. That is the difference between tech specs, and practical application. The MTRX 2 and AX-64 might both have 256 channels of Dante, but they have very different strings attached.

The MTRX 2 can be a great audio router... if you expand it. But that isn't something I would say about any other DAD device or the original MTRX.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:53 AM

It has been announced now.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...dule-announced

Westlake have the TB3 card up for $799.
The MTRX II shell is $6999.
All up $7798, before you start adding option cards.

So anyone with an MTRX needs to decide if selling an original MTRX chassis and buying the II is worthwhile versus adding a Core 256, AX64.

Core 256 is $3000 and is not internally expandable besides MADI.
AX64 is $5000 and has all the same expansion as the MTRX minus Digilink.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 04-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Avid

I've enjoyed this thread! Official product announcement is live now... read up and let's keep chatting!

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-mtrx-ii

https://www.avid.com/resource-center...he-mtrx-family

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 04-12-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I don't really see how the same can be said for the MTRX 2. How do you attach monitors to the base unit? What function does 256 Dante IO really serve in a base unit that only has 64 digilink and 64 madi IO to route to it? Do the extra 128 channels just go to waste unless you stick expansion cards in it?
What function would 256 dante IO have had on the v1 chassis with no cards?

I do think thunderbolt should’ve been on the this v2 chassis standard.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
I've enjoyed this thread! Official product announcement is live now... read up and let's keep chatting!

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-mtrx-ii

https://www.avid.com/resource-center...he-mtrx-family

m
Some of these images need to be fixed on the MTRX II for post page.. some images use the old MTRX back panel but say it’s the MTRX II panel.. people might think it does still have AES/EBU on the chassis..