Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-03-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Updating to 2021.3

nsureit has the ticket!

His is the way I generally update but this last time I was a lemming and followed the instructions, which, totally became install hell. The Avid link update is designed by earthworms. Would somebody at Avid send your programmers to Microsoft 101 programming to learn how to properly create an install routine that works? You can actually do the uninstall for the user and the reinstall as well with a simple click. Starting an install in Avid link which then sends the user to a manual uninstall is lame.

I'm not bitter just annoyed.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:54 PM

I think we all agree that Avid should do a better job of creating installers that handle uninstalling the previous version as necessary. Having said that, many of us have been using Protools long enough to know that Protools has always been a difficult animal to uninstall, configure, optimize, and tweak to make it work as needed (not necessarily smoothly). Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. I used to be on Windows and spent extensive time doing all the optimizations and tweaks every time a new version came out. I switched to a Mac, and honestly there are fewer tweaks to do, but there are still some. I even left Protools a while back due to frustration and went to other DAWs that were easier to install and update. However the workflow kept bringing me back to Protools. I don't like that we have to do all these technical gymnastics to get it to work, but if we like the workflow of Protools, we end up putting up with it. It is your time and money, no one is forcing you to stay with Protools. Try something else, you might like it.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 04-03-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:46 PM

To be fair, I’ve also found that Universal Audio updates work a lot better if I uninstall the old version first, and it takes an extra, what, 10 minutes to do an average uninstall? If it’s that big of a problem, one can certainly vote with one’s wallet, and buy a different program. My Pro Tools Windows uninstalls have always gone off without a hitch. From where I sit, it isn’t a deal-breaker. Updates that add new features but break oft-used older ones are the deal breakers. IMHO.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Updating to 2021.3.1

The lasted version of Avid Link has repeatedly failed to update from 2021.3 to 2021.3.1. It uninstalls 2021.3 then promptly re-installs it again! I then tried to uninstall Protools 2021.3 through Windows Apps and Features so I could load 2021.3.1 directly from my account and it is greyed out for both the uninstall / changes options. I tried to use a command prompt and it is seemingly disabled for that too. I ran Malware and Antivirus scanned and no logical reason for this. It seems they want you to use Avid Link to fix issues in 2021.3 and it is broken too.

In the mean time 2021.3 broke several capabilities:

It is now constantly asking for re-link to the song (the mixed track for Mastering) in even the simplest session, even when I create a fresh one from scratch, close, and reopen it. None of the folders or files have moved and they are on a dedicated drive for PT.

Additionally My Ozone 9 Advanced suite has became unusable as a plugin in Protools - it sputters, pops and clicks, loose tempo speed, and crashes, even though RAM and CPU use is showing only a fraction of what is available under system usage. It was fine until 2021.3. I have tried every CPU management trick in the book. Every other plugin is fine.

If I try to change Buffer in Playback Engine, the only option I have is 512. I use a UAD Apollo X TB3 and it does have options to change buffer, yet UA advises users specifically to make the changes in the DAW preferences.

Oddly I can open a huge project without Ozone 9 Advanced with over 70 tracks and a 100 plus plugins and no problem.

Avid needs a fix for both the problems they created with 2021.3 and fix Avid Link so it actually functions as an updater, rather than a uninstaller/re-installer.

I am serious frustrated wasting valuable creative time solving program issues.