Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-18-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Best use for old G4 with new G5?

Should I dedicate my G4 1.25 to running my hungriest plugs (IR 1, RMX, Filter Freak etc.)? Or will my dual 2.5 really handle everything I can throw at it? Any other ideas on how to keep the old workhorse working?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Best use for old G4 with new G5?

I haven't maxed out my dual 2.5 yet - even with Altiverb and several VIs running.

How exactly were you planning to run these plugins on a separate machine anyways? I think both Logic and Cubase offer some sort of "over the wire" capability for plugins, but not protools.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Best use for old G4 with new G5?

Wow! lwilliam, no less! I'm a rare visitor to the DUC these days, but when I was first getting started four or five years ago, you and your always informative posts were an enormous help to me. I'm lucky to hear from you now.
Yeah, the more I ask around the more I understand that the G4 and G5 processors don't play together well. Your setup appears to be very much like mine, and I have been assured with a knowing chuckle by several people that I can throw the whole works at the dual 2.5 and it will not be impressed!
Thanks again, l. You remain one of a few people on the DUC (rail, where) from whom one simple post is worth a dozen rants.
Take care,
Jerry