How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 10:04 AM

Default input path n/a but computer and Pro Tools recognize the mic

Hello,

First post, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread. I've looked all over the internet, and can't figure out a solution to my issue. The issue...

I set up a Blue Yeti Mic on my mac. The computer recognizes the mic. Pro Tools recognizes the mic. However, the mic input is grayed out in Pro Tools and I cannot seem to make it active!

I'm using Blackhole as my playback engine, and have selected the mic in the Input section of the I/O settings. So I'm not sure why I can't make this input active.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.02.44 AM.png (19.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.03.27 AM.jpg (32.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:59 AM

Default Re: input path n/a but computer and Pro Tools recognize the mic

Why are you using Blackhole? All your issues are likely related to that. Just use the Yeti directly as the playback engine if using its headphone output. Or if you want to use the mac output create a CoraAudio aggregate with the Mac speakers. Either way, get the Yeti working first as the playback engine, with it's headphone out as the output.

Aggregates (and Blackhole etc) have their own issues, you may not get great performance, may have CPU errors at smaller H/W buffer sizes etc.

In general these USB Mics are just not a good way to work with Pro Tools, or most DAWS. You are much better off with an interface and traditional microphone(s).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 AM

What is showing as chosen under Setup>Playback Engine? Can you choose the Yeti there?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-23-2023, 12:43 PM

Hi all, it was a sample rate issue! I had the sample rate set to 96 on the session. Once I set to 48, the input worked fine. Thanks for your insight!
Old 05-23-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Why are you using Blackhole? All your issues are likely related to that. Just use the Yeti directly as the playback engine if using its headphone output. Or if you want to use the mac output create a CoraAudio aggregate with the Mac speakers. Either way, get the Yeti working first as the playback engine, with it's headphone out as the output.

Aggregates (and Blackhole etc) have their own issues, you may not get great performance, may have CPU errors at smaller H/W buffer sizes etc.

In general these USB Mics are just not a good way to work with Pro Tools, or most DAWS. You are much better off with an interface and traditional microphone(s).
Blackhole is just the default that seems to have been working for me. Is there a better one I should be using for Mac? I have seen the H/W butter size issues occasionally.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:56 PM

As I already explained use the Blue Yeti as the Playback Engine.

Go to Setup>Playback Engine and select the Blue Yeti as the playback engine.

If IO labels don't look correct, on each of the Setup>IO>{input, output, bus} pages select all the current paths click Delete, then click the Default button.