Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 07:00 PM

Default OMS/midi setup for my SR-16 drum machine

When I installed my LE software and did the OMS setup, I didn't have the SR-16. I've been using the SR-16 to put down click tracks via audio outs. Now, I want to enable the midi so I can trigger sampling software.

How do I reconfigure OMS and set up my device? Has anyone done this that can walk me through. This is my first time doing anything with midi, so use small words [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Oh, and when I go into OMS now...my digi has a big question mark through it on the midi device map.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:44 AM

Default Re: OMS/midi setup for my SR-16 drum machine

Bump...anyone?
Old 05-27-2003, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Now, I want to enable the midi so I can trigger sampling software.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You want the beat patterns in the sr16 to trigger samples in a software sampler on your mac? I dont think that can be done. Why do you want that anyway?

If you mean letting midi notes in PT triggering the samples on the sr16, it would make more sense. Hook it up (and everything else you want oms to recognize in your system), select "Create new setup" from the menu in oms. The sr16 will be recognized as a midi module, and it should show up in the output selector on midi tracks in PT. Set it to "rec" and then you can trigger the samples with a keyboard.

The sr16 can be set up to have all or most of its sounds to be spread across the keyboard, I hope you have the manual for sr16 because it can be quite complicated.

OMS is a very old piece of software that is pretty clunky, you’ll just have to go the hard way like I’m everybody else has, read its documentation and try things out until you get what you want.

The question mark is actually just an icon that you can change just by clicking on it, but it could mean that oms has detected a device that it doesn’nt recognize.

Good luck. When we change to osx and PT6, we’ll be rid of this outdated software.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:31 AM

Well...I'm trying to evaluate a copy of NI's Battery software.

I thought that the samples in Battery need to triggered via midi. I figured I could generate the midi drum track with the SR-16, record it and use it to trigger the Battery sound modules.

Do I have this all wrong?

I don't own a keyboard.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:32 AM

If you dont have any midi input device like a keyboard, the only thing I can think of is towrite notes on a midi track with the pencil tool. If you have checked "Play midi notes when editing" in the PT prefs, you will be able to hear the notes as you build up a beat. But this requires that you have Battery connected to a aux input in PT via Directconnect.

The easy way: Buy a cheap little midi controller keyboard.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:40 AM

Ben, thanks for feedback.

I guess I still don't understand the difference between using the keys on a midi keyboard controller and the pads on the sr-16 to generate the midi notes. Seems to me they do the same thing only I can use the sr-16 to actually create a drum loop and record the midi of that loop in PT. Then apply the Batter plug-in to the midi track and end up with the Battery sound modules being triggered by the SR-16's midi track.

I do have the SR-16 manual and it has a mapping of the drum kit sounds to midi notes.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM

An easy way to explain the relationship between a midi controller and the battery software sampler is;

When you open Battery, and load a drum set ,it is assigned to different midi notes on the matrix. For example the snare drum might be assigned to D 1, which basically responds to the sampled snare drum when you play the D on the 1st octave of the midi controller. On Battery you can also click on the sample on the matrix with the mouse and hear the sample.

I used the SR -16 for years, and it was hard to part with, but when you start using battery or other samplers, you are going to want to retire the SR - 16. Trust me on that one...Have fun [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

kenny
Old 05-27-2003, 11:18 AM

An easy way to explain the relationship between a midi controller and the battery software sampler is;

When you open Battery, and load a drum set ,it is assigned to different midi notes on the matrix. For example the snare drum might be assigned to D 1, which basically responds to the sampled snare drum when you play the D on the 1st octave of the midi controller. On Battery you can also click on the sample on the matrix with the mouse and hear the sample.

I used the SR -16 for years, and it was hard to part with, but when you start using battery or other samplers, you are going to want to retire the SR - 16. Trust me on that one...Have fun [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

kenny
Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 AM

Kenny,

Are you saying that I don't need an external midi source to trigger the Battery sounds with PT?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:
If you dont have any midi input device like a keyboard, the only thing I can think of is towrite notes on a midi track with the pencil tool.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The SR-16 outputs MIDI, and as each drum sound is represented by a MIDI note, it potentially might work.

The problem now is to decipher what note each drum sound from the SR-16 triggers.

This then poses two questions:

1) Can the drum sounds be reassined to different notes within the SR-16 (ie. to match the software instrument)?

2) Can the drum sounds be reassigned to different notes within the software instrument (ie. to match the SR-16)?

If the answer is no to both questions, then unless the notes of both devices correlate (by some remarkable coincidence), then no, the two are not compatible for your purposes.

To work out the notes, have the SR-16 sequencer play each drum sound, say a bar apart, and record the results into a MIDI track. You'll see the notes against the 'piano' scale.

Of course, this assumes you're set up properly:

------------------------------------------------------------

- Is the HR-16 MIDI out connected to the Digi001 MIDI in?

- In OMS, have you 'created a new device' and labeled it 'SR-16'?

- Have you dragged the resulting 'SR-16'icon and placed it onto the Digi001 icon?

- Back in Pro Tools, have you gone to 'input Devices (MIDI menu) and enabled your HR-16?

- Have you created a MIDI track and set the input to the SR-16?

- If it still doesn't work, is there a setting within the SR-16 to enable MIDI output?

------------------------------------------------------------

Still, as bassbuddy writes, Battery contains a graphical user interface to create patterns from, therefore requires no hardware MIDI device. Think of it as a virtual 'step' or 'matrix' sequencer.

For drums, however, I prefer to input from a 'piano' MIDI controller for better feel using varying velocity.

And my number one preference would be a ddrum4 kit.

Phil